🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Earnings by client - total fees paid
Page options
dannyk1982
Community Member

Earnings by client - total fees paid

Upwork used to offer a "Earnings by Client" report that showed the total amount billed for a given timeframe (e.g. January 1st - Dec 31st) and how much you paid in fees during the selected timeframe.

Is there something similar that lists how much I made and how much I paid in fees without having to do the math myself?

10 REPLIES 10
AndreaG

Hi Daniela,

You can go to Reports > My Reports and customize a date range you'd like to see. However, this does not include fees. You can also use your Transaction History which can be filtered and exported as a CSV file for further editing if needed.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Please bring back the "Earnings by Client" report. It was so much easier and saved so much more time than dealing with "Transaction History."

With "Earnings by Client" we could calculate fees, net income, and gross income for any time period almost instantly. It was really helpful for tax purposes and calculating estimated taxes quarterly. The value this provides to freelancers is huge.

Honestly, why would Upwork remove a useful report like this? How am I supposed to calculate my 2020 income for tax purposes? There is no longer any way to do this. 

In case it helps anyone, here's how I calculated my gross, net and fees from UpWork for filing my taxes: 

1. On UpWork, go to Reports -> Transaction History

2. Filter the time from Jan 1st through Dec 31st of the given tax year. Hit "Go"

3. Select "Download CSV"

4. In Excel (or Google Sheets) import the CSV

5. Make three duplicate tabs off the first and rename them resepectively "Gross," "Net" and "Service Fees." So at the bottom of the sheet these 4 tabs should show: 

- You original tab

- Gross

- Net

- Service Fees

6. On each of the tabs freeze Row 1 (On Google Sheets "View -> Freeze -> 1 row")

7. On the Gross tab, sort the Type column and delete all rows EXCEPT those containing "Hourly" and "Fixed Price". In a blank cell run a Sum function for all the cells under the Amount column. The result is the Gross income for that tax year.

8. On the Net tab, sort the Type column and delete all rows EXCEPT those containing "Withdrawal". In a blank cell run a Sum function for all the cells under the Amount column. The result is the Net income for that tax year.

9. On the Service Fees tab, sort the Type column and delete all rows EXCEPT those containing "Service Fee". In a blank cell run a Sum function for all the cells under the Amount column. The result is your total Service Fee for that tax year.

A little convulted, but that's how I did it.

Hope this helps. It would be really nice if UpWork shared a walkthrough video going through these steps (or something similar) for calculating taxes.

Note: To calculate the totals for each quarter I ran the SUM funciton for cells under the Amount column spanning the dates for each of the four quarters.

Note: For a tutorial on how to run a Sum function please see: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093669?hl=en

This is much better than the solution I came up with! I downloaded all of the invoices for each month (also under Transaction history). When you download them, Upwork gives you 2 invoices for each contract ID. First invoice is the total milestone. Second invoice is for the service fee. But adding them all up is a pain!

Actually this is a question your accountant should be able to answer. Upwork provides you with all related documents on a weekly basis and they are not responsible for any further processing.

ctkrug
Community Member

No one here was asking Upwork to process anything, just to bring back functionality that used to exist. We're not asking Upwork to calculate taxes due, just to show earnings, net of Upwork fees, in a simple report.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to see net earnings from a client, or overall, during a given period. I can't pay my rent with gross earnings. 

The workaround process of downloading a CSV file and filtering on multiple payment types and then summing up the results is... shall we say, ridiculous?

hohf_rachael
Community Member

Wow, I can't believe Upwork removed this report.  My CPA already feels like the documentation provided by Upwork is iffy at best...he's really going to hate that I'm going to be submitting a user-created spreadsheet as "proof" of my 2020 earnings.  Please bring back the Earnings by Client report!

For anyone that was following this thread, the new functionality on Billings & Earnings seems to achieve the goal in fewer steps.
https://www.upwork.com/ab/payments/reports/earnings

Change the date range, download to CSV, and the rightmost column is your earnings net of Upwork fees.

mark_zambrano
Community Member

Looks like UpWork listened to everyone.

Just like Christopher said above, the new Billings & Earnings report easily provides everything needed for tax filing. You can get Gross, Net and Fees for any job over a given period. You can then either do some quick addition, adding up the totals for each respective job, or like Christopher said export a CSV and get the totals easily through there.

So much easier than how we had to do it before to get the same info.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members