🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Edge vs. Chrome
Page options
atlinguist
Community Member

Edge vs. Chrome

Hi,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere, but I have a question concerning my profile visibility. 

Following video-call ID verification today, I went to check whether I could call up my profile via a simple browser search. I typed in "Upwork Alexandra Hirsch" in both Google Chrome and MS Edge but only Chrome came up with a result. 

Is this something to do with the Edge browser? (My profile is set to "public".) Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Alexandra H wrote:

Following video-call ID verification today, I went to check whether I could call up my profile via a simple browser search. I typed in "Upwork Alexandra Hirsch" in both Google Chrome and MS Edge but only Chrome came up with a result. 

Is this something to do with the Edge browser? (My profile is set to "public".) Thanks.

I avoid Edge like the plague but I think (and am not at all sure) that Edge uses the inferior Microsoft search engine, whereas Chrome (obviously) uses Google. This is a working theory and you might want to confirm by running an actual Google search in Edge or setting Google as your default search engine in Edge to confirm one way or the other.

So my theory (unproven) would be that it's not so much browser, but rather search engine.

Thanks, Petra! 

I actually quite like Edge, not least because the Webmaster tools (for ads) are nice and give me lots of choice in terms of keywords, etc., but you are probably right about the 'backend' search engine having an effect.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to direct potential clients to Chrome. 

florydev
Community Member

Alexandra H wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere, but I have a question concerning my profile visibility. 

So...many...things...wrong.

When you search on your browser in the url bar or however your browser of choice works it is likely tied to the search engine you have set for your browser to use for the search.  Chrome, by default, uses Google, and Edge, by default uses Bing.  You have not been indexed by Bing or if you have you are not coming up highly for those terms.

Not that it matters much because nobody would search for you that way.

But why does another Upwork freelancer also called 'Alexandra H.' come up in the Bing search?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths