🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I am furious
Page options
cj50
Community Member

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

HELP! has anyone noticed that recently all the code in PDF forms is been wiped when passing / attaching submitting work to the clients?

160 REPLIES 160

Joan, there is no reason you should have to and it's obviously inexcusable that Upwork altered (in this case, destroyed) your work product without your knowledge. But, this is easily remedied by sending files via email, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc. 

ETA: Makes you wonder how many disputes where the client said the freelancer "didn't do anything" and the freelancer insisted he/she did were actually the result of Upwork undoing the work before passing the files on.

At the very least they could offer up some sort of warning, but they don't.

That on top of them insisting on keeping conversation within Upwork, it's just beyond ridiculous.  

They should do a better job of notifying the freelancer so they can choose another route, and/or the client to let them know that it was flagged, and for what reason, and common false flag occurances.

I'm not sure what the devs are doing, but there are a ton of little frustrating bugs across this site that need fixing and it's a tad embarassing coming from a company who overwhelmingly makes money off web dev projects and then hires devs from their own platform. 

It doesn't paint a good picture for the quality freelancers who do web dev when you hire from the same pool and your site has so many issues.

Jordon B wrote:

That on top of them insisting on keeping conversation within Upwork, it's just beyond ridiculous.  

They don't, though. I can see how you would be misled since you get that pop-up in messaging that says "be sure to keep messaging in Upwork" or something like that but you're free to communicate with your client however the two of you choose. Just keep payment through Upwork.

I'm shocked to say the least. Makes me wonder what my clients have been receiving from me...

Joan, how did you discover that? Did the client tell you or did Upwork give you some sort of notification?

Maria P wrote:

I'm shocked to say the least. Makes me wonder what my clients have been receiving from me...

Joan, how did you discover that? Did the client tell you or did Upwork give you some sort of notification?

I noticed it today too, immediately after I sent a file through messenger a notice came up in the messenger (as part of my message) that the file has been sanitized. Needless to say I was upset too, because I always wash my hands before eating and so on. No kidding aside, I was concerned too and did not know if the client received the file intact or not. 

Martina - I just uploaded a file to a client and so far it has not been sanitized. Very mysterious goings-on today.

Joan's thread absolutely should not have been merged here, into a thread with a header about PDF files. This issue obviously impacts file types that non-technical people use and would not anticipate having issues with work being stripped out.

ETA: Thanks Valeria. Good quick fix.

The message is infact insisting that you stay on the platform.  I did not say anything about their rules.

Maria - I only found out because I uploaded some files and all of a sudden a notice appeared that they were "sanitized." Then I checked other clients and all the files had those notices although the notices were not there yesterday. I then discovered that one is able to download an original file that has not been sanitized with a caution notice attached - but no explanation about that or how to do it. I just discovered that ability on my own. So, in addition to being an editor, I now have to be a computer whiz.

yashvaghasiya
Community Member

I am getting in everyfile client sent me or i send to client "This file was sanitized." in all files from last 2 days. It's docx file and virus free file then what is the issue?

Thanks

Yash V wrote:

I am getting in everyfile client sent me or i send to client "This file was sanitized." in all files from last 2 days. It's docx file and virus free file then what is the issue?

you can download the original file.

Upwork have been sanitizing files for ages, you just didn't notice because before there was no warning and no option to download the original.

download original file.jpg

burtondesignlab
Community Member

Hello, 

This is an old forum, but I'll take a chance here. I am currently having the same issue with an attachment recieved from a potential client. I tried messaging directly, but was not able due to unavailable permissions. Please advise. Thanks.

Attachments in job posts are still getting sanitized with no option to download the original file. Clearly the clients are not aware of the issue because sometimes they specifically ask in the job description to look at their current code (xlsm or docm).

Is it possible that Upwork is not warning the client when they attach the file, causing trouble for everyone?

Pedro B wrote:

Attachments in job posts are still getting sanitized with no option to download the original file. Clearly the clients are not aware of the issue because sometimes they specifically ask in the job description to look at their current code (xlsm or docm).

Is it possible that Upwork is not warning the client when they attach the file, causing trouble for everyone?

I've experienced the same thing. I think it's very likely that Upwork is not warning clients.

I wonder why it is that sometines the file is "sanitized" (macros removed) and other times it's blocked altogether (with a message to contact customer support if you really want the file). Question: if the file is only sanitized, not blocked, can we contact customer support to get the original file?

Last time I came across a blocked file attached to a job post I was interested in, I applied anyway and asked the client to email me the file. The client was glad to be told that his file was blocked (so it seems Upwork didn't warn him), and I went on to get the job. It helped that there were not many proposals. I might not have tried it if there'd been more. Maybe the reason for not many proposals was precisiely because the attachment was blocked, in which case the blocking worked to my advantage. (It was also only 2 connects, probably because of the low number of proposals.)  The file turned out to be harmless, as have been all the blocked files I've eventually received.

I agree with Richard W, have been doing the same thing and have the same feeling about the lower number of proposals. Just didn't get any feedback from clients yet when I ask them to send the files.

As far as I can tell from the previous messages in this thread, I believe Upwork has not commented on this issue yet.

This is about files attached to job posts, santitized with no warning nor option to download the original files, not about files on messages!

p_prykhodko
Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem, could you help me to fix it?

Hi Pavlo and Irma,

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. However, the client will see a notification if the file was sanitized and will have an option to download the original.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I am unable to download client's attachment from Messages, I am getting an error message "The website is not accessible. The server IP address of agora-file-storage-prod.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com was not found." I think my question went to wrong thread. Smiley Sad

Irma,

Could you please click on my name next to this post and send me a private message with the name of the client or link to the message room where you try to download the file? I'd be happy to check on that for you. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
irma_k
Community Member

Hi,

the same issue (unable to download attachments - agora-file storage server). Can someone help me?

This may be an old issue but I have never seen this before, the pdf I exported from InDesign as proof to a client to check a change is VISUALLY different than on my end. I'm a designer, and the visual arrangement of things is primarily what I'm getting paid for.

If this happened in the past and I just didn't know, that is one scary thought. Because the client would have had some really bad consequence when they sent files to press. Nobody ever said anything.

I haven't been posting lately so this might not be the best place for this comment but it's the one that popped up in my email so I'm going with it for now.

Hi Jacqueline,

I checked the file in your Messages that I believe you're referring to and it was sanitized. Both you and your client will see the orange warning icon next to the message saying that this file was sanitized as well as the option to download the original.

~ Valeria
Upwork

It sounds like your problem is similar to the one I was having recently. I had to open a case directly with Upwork through their help center for resolution. Link below:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=497f3b1cbb1861f544b6feac1e615448a46b2c46

Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "get help." This prompts you with a bot, but you can choose to open a case with an Upwork representative regarding you specific issue.

In my case they forwarded the issue to their engineering team who, after some time, essentially indicated that the file had been sanatized and certain elements removed. This worked, but was unfortauntley a bit late for the project in question.

In short, I'd open up a case through the help center as soon as I have an issue next time. Wishing you luck.

Can someone from Upwork please comment on what you're planning to do regarding attachments in job posts?

Yet another case with no warning about the file having been sanitized and no option to download the original file (notice the mouse cursor over the link). The button got converted to a picture and the code is gone.

Already contacted the client and the work is on hold because of this.

Job attachment sanitized.png

Hi Pedro,

I have shared the concerns and feedback a few users expressed on this thread regarding attachments on job postings with the team. I'll make sure to update this thread if there are any changes with how attachments on job postings are displayed. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Pedro,

I have shared the concerns and feedback a few users expressed on this thread regarding attachments on job postings with the team. I'll make sure to update this thread if there are any changes with how attachments on job postings are displayed. 

Thanks!

Nevermind ... complaining is useless.

srifaat
Community Member

Ok, so I'm trying to send  some maco enabled Word files to a client, and I've explained that they need to download the original files using that down arrow as some have already suggested.  The problem I have is that the "download original file" option doesn't appear next to all files I'm sending!

Out of eight files, only two of them where tagged with "The file was sanitized" message and had a "download original file" option.  The remaining files don't have the sanitized tag and no option to download the original (even though they've all been modified and stripped of their macros)!  Appreciate any suggestions.

Hi Sherif,

Sorry about the delay. I attempted to track down the attachments you are referring to on my own but realized that I need more information. Could you please click on my name next to this post and send me a private message with the link to the message room you are referring to and a screenshot of the files that were changed but the download link isn't available?

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
pebravos
Community Member

FileUploadWarning.png

Looking at this warning I just got, and all the issues with attached files so far and the problems they've been causing, I can't help thinking that Upwork is trying hard to get us to not upload files to the jobs' message rooms.

Uploading a file should be a normal action, not something that warrants a warning and makes it sound like we're doing something wrong and Upwork is not responsible for a service that were' paying for.

If I place the files in an external site then I have to do all the work regarding agreeing on a site that everyone has access to (we end up having to manage several sites), creating a folder and somehow relate it to the job, giving permissions to the client and whoever he decides needs to have access to it (common scenario), which involves getting each person's email, managing and paying for space (one client alone deliverable was 20k files that took half the space in my drive), copying links back and forth to the job's room to keep the files in the logic sequence of the conversation, managing the dispersion of the job's conversations between the room at Upwork and emails, etc.

I thought I was already paying Upwork to not waste time and money with all this, and I thought Upwork wanted us to be more productive to make us all more money.

You might as well assume ending file attachment at Upwork servers and while you're at it lower our membership and fees since we're getting each time less for more.

"for the security of our users"? That summarizes how I feel you've been treating us freelancers on this, as if we're not users, paying ones, and that make you money.

Pedro:

Upwork is not a file transfer tool

I deal with a LOT of files.

Sometimes a single file shared between freelancer and client.

Sometimes thousands of files at a time.

I certainly don't rely on Upwork to transfer files.

If you are frustrated with Upwork file transfer issues, just don't use it. I use Upwork for finding clients.

You said that if you use an external resource for transferring files, you'll have to go to all kinds of work to do so, etc., etc.

You should be happy to know that you are incorrect about this.

Using other tools for file transfer will actually save you time and effort, because those tools are meant for file transfers, and have wonderful time-saving features and functionality, and work in reliable, predictable ways. They don't get in your way and do funny things that they don't tell you about.

Email, FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, WeTransfer, etc. Pick one or two tools and you will see that it is well worth it to not be restricted by Upwork's limited file transfer capabilities.

Preston:

Upwork was working fine as it was for 99% of my jobs until they messed it up. That's it.

re: "Upwork was working fine as it was for 99% of my jobs until they messed it up. That's it."

I'm glad that it was working well for you.

It is likely that the way I work with files and my needs for file transfers are quite different from yours.

Freelancers whose work is similar to mine pobably never relied on Upwork for file transers very much, and the changes that Upwork made without telling people never really affected us directly.

So to be completely fair, I probably can't truly relate to the frustration that many freelancers experienced when the discovered that what they thought was working for them... sometimes wasn't.

Preston H wrote:

Pedro:

Upwork is not a file transfer tool

Not specifically, but if anything ever goes to arbitration, anything that was not said or sent via the Contract room within 24 hours of having been sent by other means is not considered to have been said or sent.

Preston H wrote:

You said that if you use an external resource for transferring files, you'll have to go to all kinds of work to do so, etc., etc.

You should be happy to know that you are incorrect about this.

No need to be so patronizing. If he has to send it via Upwork as well for it to be considered sent in case of a dispute, he DOES have to do extra work.

You're right, Pedro.

I have no interest whatsoever in having to use a system other than Upwork for periodically sending files to my Upwork clients. Having everything in one place is 

Of course, there may be better ways to send very large or large numbers of files, but simply attaching a file to a message via the Upwork messaging system should be neither hassle nor hazard.

purnendu100
Community Member

Hello,

I can not send my project files to my client. When I try to send it from dropbox ( because the file size is above 100 mb), I see a message "The contents of this message may violate Upwork policy. Visit our Security page for more information." This is the first time I have faced like this problem.

I need anyones help as soon as possible. I need to send my project files to my client asap.

Regards!

Purnendu Bikash Sarker

Sarker P wrote:

I can not send my project files to my client. When I try to send it from dropbox ( because the file size is above 100 mb), I see a message "The contents of this message may violate Upwork policy.

I need anyones help as soon as possible. I need to send my project files to my client asap.

Upload it to google drive and submit the link for the client to download it from there.

Alternatively get the client's email address if you do not yet have it and send it via wetransfer or a similar service.

Try to "also" send it via Upwork subsequently if at all possible to be on the safe side.

Thanks Petra for your support. But If I asked my client to share his/her email address, then is not it break the upwork's terms and conditions? As I always want to keep my account safe. I wound like to continuing my freelancing without breaking upwork's terms and conditions. Hope you understand what I want to say. 

Regards!

Sarker P wrote:

Thanks Petra for your support. But If I asked my client to share his/her email address, then is not it break the upwork's terms and conditions?

Absolutely not

If you upload it to google drive with a sharable link you don't even need the client's email address, but many, if not most freelancers communicate with their clients via email, slack, skype, whatever, and that is absolutely fine.

Only PAYMENTS have to go through Upwork.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I’d like to note a recent update to the message that’s displayed when an attachment is changed for security reasons. We understand that the word “Sanitized” may have been confusing, so we’ve changed it to a more descriptive message. Please see the screenshot below:

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you for the clariication, Valeria.

I often send Microsoft Word files to clients with graphic items (such as Excel files or JPG files) inserted within the document's text.

Are these embedded items removed in the "sanitized" versions of the files sent to my clients?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths