🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sir, What is the meaning of sanitize message?...
Page options
cj50
Community Member

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

HELP! has anyone noticed that recently all the code in PDF forms is been wiped when passing / attaching submitting work to the clients?

160 REPLIES 160
tlsanders
Community Member

This is a big problem, but there's a rule against starting multiple threads on the same topic.

cj50
Community Member

Has anyone else notice that when PDF forms are passed/attached in here all the code is wiped?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christopher,

We'd like to investigate this. Since we may ask you to share more information about the message and the file you attached, I'll have a support ticket created about this for you. You'll receive an email notification once it's created and I'll also be updating this thread once we know more about the issue.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Can you or your team please come up with a fix for this?!!?

Honestly, I'm so FED UP with upwork.

I apid to hire a freelancer. she has done AMAZON work, exactly as directed. She submitted files perfectly.

Yet recently, UPWORK has been "sanitizing files", and turning ALL AI documents into PDF's- rendering them absolutely useless! You cant open them, cant isolate layers, or do any animations!

This is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone know how to turn off this BS 'sanitization' feature?! 

Also, upwork chat and help are absolutely useless. Hoping to find more support here. 

Sincerely, angry and ai-file-less. 

Someone else will come along and explain better where to find it if you're not seeing it, but there is an option to download the original files.

petra_r
Community Member

Cassandra B wrote:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone know how to turn off this BS 'sanitization' feature?! 

`Take a deep breath and simply click on the "download original file" link to the right of the file and download the file as it was sent.

download original file.jpg

Alternatively, get the freelancer to send the AI to you by email or dropbox

Cassandra, Upwork's instuctions for this are beyond poor.  😞

It always makes sense to share contact info with FLes ... and if they fail to suggest it - you do.

Hi Cassandra,

Sorry about the frustration caused by this. I see that you chatted with our support team about this as well and they provided some guidance. I also checked and there is still an option to download the original file that shows when hovering mouse over the sanitized file:

Screenshot_1.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
catas_49
Community Member

Hello Christopher,

Yes, I have the same problem for quite some time now, I even submitted a ticket but nothing has been solved, although I've sent samples of PDFs before uploading in the message room, and after downloading from the message room, and the size of the PDFs was different, code was missing, as if when I upload the PDF on UpWork it gets "filtered" somehow.

The workaround I use is to archive the PDF and send it to my client in a zip file

Until the problem is solved, maybe this helps you

Catalin

Catalin:

You clearly did NOT need Upwork or anybody else to sole this for you. You figured out a great workaround. Thank you for sharing your tip.

For anyone facing similar problems:

Upwork isn't a file transfer tool.

Professional freelancers have a number of REAL file transfer tools and techniques at their fingertips that know how to use in order to provide high-level, reliable service to their clients. Top freelancers use one or more of the following:

FTP

WeTransfer

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

email

USB thumb drive

Sync.com

pCloud

[etc.]

Preston H wrote:

Upwork isn't a file transfer tool.

But as long as Upwork strongly suggests that work should be submitted via Upwork and throws dire warnings at people for sharing contact details in message threads, Upwork should not wreck / corrupt  things that are being sent through its interfaces that even Facebook can handle without problems

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Christopher and others,

I'd like to circle back here and provide an update. In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.  If you want the original unmodified attachment, you can receive it by contacting Customer Support but note that Upwork is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by opening unmodified files transferred on Upwork.

Soon we'll be adding in product notifications about this.

~ Valeria
Upwork

The query revolves around sending not receiving files.

Valeria K wrote:

Christopher and others,

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.

Okay, that's fine, but you are not doing it the right way.

You can quarantine the file and warn the sender and the recipient.

You can let the file go through and warn the sender and the recipient.

But you cannot change the file and say nothing.

Seriously, your IT team needs to go out and talk to real people every now and then.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Valeria K wrote:

I'd like to circle back here and provide an update. In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.  I

It also removes editing (tracked changes)

Considering how many proofreaders and editors there are, that's terrifying.

We submit work and have *NO* idea what the hell Upwork does to what we submit.

We have no idea if the client sees what we sent.

The filter strips stuff we are paid to be there.

And to do it without anyone being any the wiser (until a client goes ballistic because they didn't get what they paid for because Upwork decided to covertly remove it)  is all wrong, as Rene pointed out.

If Upwork is going to insist on **bleeping up** my files, I need an immediate warning so I can send the client what they paid me to do for them some other way.

I totally get and support why Upwork does this, but please, just tell us if and when something we did send is being changed in any way.

Petra R wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

I'd like to circle back here and provide an update. In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.  I

WHAAAAT?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

WHAAAAT?

not always, but it has done that in the past.

Point was: If Upwork make any changes to a submitted something, the user **MUST** be notified.

I stopped sending edited/ redlined documents via Upwork months ago.  It does, indeed, remove all the editing.  I use my email or Dropbox to submit those.

Does Upwork intend to officially announce that freelancers can no longer deliver finished files to their clients via upload on the message board. Or was this annoucemnt made already and I missed it? I send PDFs to clients and parts are missing, or I send files and the client's browser won't open them because of "dangerous content."

Hi Clark,

I'm sorry about the incovience this had caused you. Could you please send me a PM with more details like your client name and the file name so that our team can investigate it further? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, on august 25 I have sent a Macro enabled excel file named Excercise Mangement Tool V-2.xlsm to my client **Edited for community guidelines**That file was working fine for me. The client was complaining that the file was not working on his PC because there was no macro (VBA Script) available on that file.

Today: I have got another Macro enabled excel file named Repair of SD_2.05 Bookmaker.xlsm from my client **Edited for community guidelines**. This file was also not working for me because Macros was not available whereas the same file working on his PC.

Seems like Upwork removing the script from the file. After realizing that I have sent the file via email to

**Edited for community guidelines** and then the file was working fine for him. Also, after getting the file from **Edited for community guidelines** via email, it's working fine. It proves that, after sending a file via Upwork message, Macros (VBA script) getting removed. As I am working as an Automation expert this is very important for me to send this type of files to my clients. Also, I send Python script as well to my clients. Sometimes some clients ask for an executable file as they don't know how to run a python script and they want to make running script easier for them. But If I compile my script to an executable (.exe file for PC and .dmg file for Mac) and try to send as a zip file via Upwork message then that file marked as virus whereas the file is completely fine. 

I would like to get Upwork to pay attention to these issues.

Md Atikur R wrote:

I would like to get Upwork to pay attention to these issues.

They are paying strict attention.  They are strictly not allowing these things because it is kind of dangerous to open files from random people on the internet that are executables or have macros.  They are both protecting the clients and the freelancer by doing so (and also insulating themselves from liability).

My suggestion is to find another route to send the work to your client.  I would still submit it on Upwork as proof that you sent it but then send it through another medium and notify the client that the correct file is coming through Dropbox or whatevz.

Hi Md. Atikur,

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. If you want the original unmodified attachment, please contact Customer Support.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

To save time and ensure success, freelancers and clients should not assume that transferring files using any Upwork tools, including the "Submit Work" button and the Messages tool, will be "successful".

In any situation where successfully transferring of files is critical, and where files are expected to not be changed or damaged, freelancers and clients will use OTHER tools, such as FTP, email, Dropbox, etc.

Clients and freelancers interested in efficient, reliable transfer of files do not rely on Upwork Customer Support to help them either.

These facts have nothing to do with how things "SHOULD" be. That is a related, but different topic.

Thread participants who have said that Upwork should warn users about potential damage to files, or who have said that Upwork should not make changes to files, make valid points. But what Upwork "should" do is not the same as "what Upwork does now."

Currently Upwork's stated goal is to avoid the possible transmission of harmful files or file contents such as viruses, malware, etc., and so Upwork IS potentially making changes to files, and does not plan to stop doing so.

Hello! I attached a Excel file with VBA macro to a proposal but it seems to be corrupted when I try to download it through the proposal view. Is there a specific file format that could only be attached?

Hi Ronnie,

I checked the file you attached to your proposal, and it's working, I'm not able to replicate the issue you're describing. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue?

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
chhickish
Community Member

I have in recent weeks been having problems with VBA being wiped off of Excel sheets both through the desktop app and in sheets I have downloaded from Job posts, are you sure there is no problem here?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher,

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. Please see this page for more information about Upwork's Trust & Safety processes.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
chhickish
Community Member

Ok thanks Bojan,

However it makes it very difficult to bid on jobs that involve modifying existing macros when you can't see if the macro you have to modify is bady written spaghetti code or not.

Up until a few weeks ago I did not encounter this issue..I am happy even to click a disclaimer when I download the file rather than this way

Thanks Bojan,

I checked but the macro in my file attachment was wiped out.

What do you suggest as a work around for this?

Thanks!

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, 

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. If you want the original unmodified attachment, we can have the Customer Support Team contact you directly. Upwork is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by opening unmodified files transferred on Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery O wrote:

Hi Ronnie, 

In some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. If you want the original unmodified attachment, we can have the Customer Support Team contact you directly. Upwork is not responsible for any damage that may be caused by opening unmodified files transferred on Upwork.

It's a nuisance having to ask CS for the file, but I have to say this worked out to my advantage on one occasion. Upwork blocked access to a file attached to a job post. I immediately asked CS for the file, and received it within 24 hours, after which I applied for the job and won it. The client told me that I was the only applicant who appeared to have seen the file. He even said that some other applicants tried to bluff, claiming they'd seen the file when they clearly hadn't!

Hi i have already contact you to help me to solve a difficulty to get the source code upload on several Visual Fox Pro Projects.every time i click on the link to download the ffile joined to the customer proposition, i get a error message of upwork which say the file it not safe. I know it is only VFP source code because i have already work with the same company **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I have informed them but actually the bug still exist. Can you help me please on it. Kind regards

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Moustapha,

I can see that you have already opened a ticket for this and one of our team will assist you further on your ticket as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Sir, What is the meaning of sanitize message? When I upload a docx file it show that?

Ok Sir thanks.

Why am I getting this notice whenever I am sending files to my clients?

*The word file doesn't contain any link

Hi Shams,

Please refer to Valeria's message in this thread.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths