Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel file issue

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
91 of 161

I just started see this "sanitized" notice in the past week to 10 days, so it must be a new "feature" Upwork has implemented.

Files I sent to or received from clients in the past usually survived the passage without a problem, though there was very occasionally a corruption created in a file that required the same file be sent via regular email.

I have no idea what the purpose or result of this new "sanitization" by Upwork will but, but I'd prefer that if it ain't broke they don't "fix" it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
92 of 161

I wanted to mention that I have been having trouble sending Excel files via Upwork chat recently. When the client opens the file, the pages are all jumbled and mirrored. They sent me screen shots and it is very weird indeed, and it makes me look unprofessional. 

Fortunatley I was able to send the files via email with no issues. 

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
93 of 161

It could be due to the new sanitized file thing. The client can download the original file by hovering right until they see a "download original file" button. Maybe that will help? 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
94 of 161

Thanks Louisa, perhaps that is the issue. However, the customer did download the files (twice). Upwork should not be making clients jump through any hoops or take any extra steps to get the work they paid for. I hope this is a bug they are actively working on. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
95 of 161

Teza - Why are my files for clients being sanitized and the edit tracking I have done removed?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Christopher H Member Since: Feb 1, 2019
96 of 161

This santized warning helps with the messages between freelancer and client, but the macros are still being stripped from job postings by clients.  Can we have the option to download the original there too.

Highlighted
Pedro B Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
97 of 161

I just had the same problem as Christopher H.

A job posting with detailed specs refering to the macros in the Excel file and there was no code in the file. Just the code missing this time, the buttons in the sheet were not converted to images as I've seen before.

There seem to be other problems with recent security implementations as well. I just refreshed my browser at https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/ after coming back from lunch and I got a message saying "Access to this page has been denied because we believe you're using automation tools to browse the website". I wasn't, and the adblocker has been disabled for Upwork site since I can remember. Again assuming everything and checking nothing. Sorry to post this here, just to make the point that this attachments problem is not an isolated security issue causing difficulties to freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
98 of 161

re: “Can we have the option to download the original there too.”

I don’t think Upwork wants to be responsible in any way for spreading malware. They have said this many times in many ways.

They would rather change files.

I can see how this can cause major problems for users unaware of the issue.

As I AM aware, I feel like it doesn’t impact me directly... but it makes Upwork less ideal than it would be if it notified people.

I would not hold out for the option to download original files directly. I don’t think that is coming. If it was offered, I am not sure I would ever trust it completely.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
99 of 161

Christopher and Preston,

I'd just like to point out that in the notification, users will have an option to download the original now. Please, see my earlier post on this thread:

Valeria K. wrote:

You'll start seeing notifications when this is done on browser version of Messages starting today and in Upwork Desktop App starting next week. You and your client will also see an option to download the original file by clicking the three dots to the right of the file name and selecting “Download Original File.” In other words, you and your client will have access to the original without having to contact Customer Support.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
100 of 161

I'm super glad to see that Upwork has solved this issue.

Now if they could work on their tone, maybe start by sending out an email apologizing for this absolutely ridiculous policy and thanking us for bring the ridiculousness of it to their attention.  It would also go a long way in explaining things to clients so freelancers don't just look like a joke.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS