Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
61 of 161

I completely agree with Pedro.

Due to this and other problems with the Messages app I now use email or slack for all my communication with regular clients. In future I will suggest switching at an earlier stage of working with a client.

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
62 of 161

I discovered this morning that the files I upload to clients are being sanitized. In the process, the edit tracking I have done is being removed. As an editor, edit tracking is a lot of what I do. Why is Upwork trying to destroy my business?

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
63 of 161

Valeria - I discovered this morning that my files that I send to clients are being "sanitized."  What this means is that some of my edit tracking is removed from the files. As an editor, it is important that I am able to send my clients their files with the edit tracking that I have done. Why on earth is Upwork removing my work!!!!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
64 of 161

Hi Joan and others,

I have merged new threads about this topic to the larger conversation we've had about it.

In some cases malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.

You'll start seeing notifications when this is done on browser version of Messages starting today and in Upwork Desktop App starting next week. You and your client will also see an option to download the original file by clicking the three dots to the right of the file name and selecting “Download Original File.” In other words, you and your client will have access to the original without having to contact Customer Support.

~ Valeria
Untitled
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
65 of 161

I'd like to follow up and share screenshots of what the notifications look like when a file is sanitized with the option to download the original. Please, see below:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
bzstudio
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
66 of 161

Now attachments in the messages are showing up with "This file was sanitized!" after them. This makes it appear that something was wrong with your file, that Upwork had to go spray disinfectant on it due to it being germy or disgusting in some other way. It can lead clients to conclude that you are trying to infect their computer with malware and Upwork caught it just in time. Sure, they could click "Learn More" but we all know that first impressions count and most people don't want to bother with reading anything they don't have to.

It's totally unnecessary for them to put that on there. I'm sure they would say "It lets the client know that we are doing everything we can to ensure a safe work environment" or some such rote response. Having a safe work environment is expected at minimum; it isn't something for them to brag about or announce every time they do it. It's like putting up a notice that says "Our system worked as expected this morning!" or "We actually let you have your money that you earned - after taking out fees and a waiting period, that is!" Freelancers don't get on here and announce "We got our work done today!" or "I have used the system correctly."

I would like to suggest that they remove that embarrassing text. Scan the files all you like, just don't announce it each time.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
67 of 161

Lisa, it turns out that it's a super-important warning, as you'll see in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Edited-Attachment-are-getting-Sanitized/td-p/576616/jump...

"Sanitized" files aren't just scanned--they're modified in ways that in some cases strip out work the freelancer has performed.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
68 of 161

Valeria K wrote:

I'd like to follow up and share screenshots of what the notifications look like when a file is sanitized with the option to download the original. Please, see below:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

What if there are no 3 dots?

no dots.jpg

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
69 of 161

Hi Petra,

The UI is adaptive and depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is smaller, the icon will show under the three dots. If the screen is large enough, the icons will show right next to the file like on your screenshot.

~ Valeria
Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
70 of 161

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Petra,

The UI is adaptive and depends on the size of the screen. If the screen is smaller, the icon will show under the three dots. If the screen is large enough, the icons will show right next to the file like on your screenshot.

So does that mean the file I downloaded was the original, not sanitized file? 

Ahhhh, now I get it... holding the mouse over it shows that it is the original file - all clear now, Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS