Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

erincrum
Erin C Member Since: Sep 26, 2019
71 of 161

Valeria,

I recieved my first sanitized message yesterday on a word document with links in it. I sent a pdf today of it, with no active links, and recieved the same message, but was able to send the document to the client through email. Today I sent a different document, also in word, with no edits, no links, no macros, and no active content, and recieved the same sanitized message. I do not have a different way to share the document with that client and it definitely should not have set off any alarms. It is frustrating and reflects badly on the work I've sent along.

What is the solution moving forward?

Thank  you

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
72 of 161

Erin C wrote:

What is the solution moving forward?

original file.jpg

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
73 of 161

Hi Erin, 

Have you tried following the steps in Valeria, and Petra's post? If this option is not available for you, please let us know and our team will be happy to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
74 of 161

I suppose the solution is to use non-Upwork methods of communication whenever possible. I've already switched over to email with all my regular clients. For proposals (and any other situations where I haven't yet switched to email) I'll start using Dropbox (or similar) instead of attachments.

erincrum
Erin C Member Since: Sep 26, 2019
75 of 161

It is files sent to the clients, not ones I need to download - I am sure they can download, but will have reservations of doing so. My concern is that they are simple word documents, and one in particular has nothing that would trigger a sanitized message - no links, edits, macros, or anything, so I can't figure out why the file would recieve that message

skh0711
Sharon H Member Since: Aug 28, 2015
76 of 161

Hi all,

I searched for relevant threads on this, but most of what I found was older and didn't seem quite what I needed. 

I've been sharing Word doc (and .docx) files for years with clients without any trouble. Then, just last week, when I returned two files to a client (.docx), when they showed up in the message feed, they had the notation "This file was sanitized" underneath them. I opened them back up from the message stream, and they seemed fine, so I didn't worry about it. (I did click the "learn more" link, but there was nothing there that was super helpful or scary.) This particular client has a 10-year-old MacBook and he isn't very tech savvy, so I thought maybe the issue was with the way he was creating his docs. (I'm not super tech savvy either, LOL!) What was confusing, though, was that we'd been passing files back and forth for months without any sanitizing until last week.

Today, I sent a .doc file to a different client, and it too went through with the sanitized notation. It didn't come to me like that, and this was the first time I'd returned it to him. I don't know what to make of it.

Any thoughts? Any help? If so, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks much,

Sharon

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
77 of 161

I just started see this "sanitized" notice in the past week to 10 days, so it must be a new "feature" Upwork has implemented.

Files I sent to or received from clients in the past usually survived the passage without a problem, though there was very occasionally a corruption created in a file that required the same file be sent via regular email.

I have no idea what the purpose or result of this new "sanitization" by Upwork will but, but I'd prefer that if it ain't broke they don't "fix" it.

tanya-mikhaylova
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
78 of 161

I wanted to mention that I have been having trouble sending Excel files via Upwork chat recently. When the client opens the file, the pages are all jumbled and mirrored. They sent me screen shots and it is very weird indeed, and it makes me look unprofessional. 

Fortunatley I was able to send the files via email with no issues. 

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

louisaj
Community Guru
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
79 of 161

It could be due to the new sanitized file thing. The client can download the original file by hovering right until they see a "download original file" button. Maybe that will help? 

tanya-mikhaylova
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
80 of 161

Thanks Louisa, perhaps that is the issue. However, the customer did download the files (twice). Upwork should not be making clients jump through any hoops or take any extra steps to get the work they paid for. I hope this is a bug they are actively working on. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS