Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
91 of 161

Jennifer:

Here, I made up this definition for you:

safelt (English): word used to describe something that feels safe (but isn't necessarily safe).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
92 of 161

I can't think what UW is doing, but for heaven's sake - not Upwork's who must be stoking coal somewhere much lower down - send your pdfs via Dropbox or similar, or your own emails.

Yes, and risk getting the little highlighted warnings from UW to tell you to keep everything onsite.  

Upwork you are truly encouraging people to circumvent.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
93 of 161

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for flagging the typo! I'll forward this to the team and we'll get it fixed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
94 of 161

Jennifer R wrote:

I had two sanitized word documents today.

So what are you doing to the file and WTH is "safelt"?

Screenshot 2019-10-01 20.32.46.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.07.51 PM.png

@Jennifer
I think "safelt" might be the "activated Seismotite" of its time. 
(Apologies to any Dutch people. I have no idea why they branded a North American cleaner in this way. Apparently, the company is still active since they have a website.)

Thanks for posting the explanation of sanitization. I guess that means they mess with your file before they even check to make sure there's anything wrong with it? One of my clients had a problem with a revised file crashing on him last week.  It makes me wonder if I'm going to have to find alternate ways of receiving and returning files. 

Highlighted
Yuri G Member Since: Oct 7, 2019
95 of 161

How can I send a binary executable file (.exe) to client?

I am a programmer and I need to send completed binary to client. However Upwork completely blocks it from downloading. Even if I attach zip file with the program to milestone submission - client can't download it and can't approve submission without it.

Same thing in chat. Client wants to see for what he pays, but upwork forbids him from it. I can upload a file to some third-party resource, but Upwork blocks a link.

This behavior started may be a half of year ago. Before it it was OK to send anything I need to send to client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
96 of 161

I don't even try to send executable files through Upwork. It is not worth my time or potential embarrassment to try to do so.

I use other methods, such as FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Highlighted
97 of 161

It allowed to send executables (zipped) in past.

Now I tried to upload zipped exe to side resource and posted url to that file to chat with client - after a few seconds (it seems that Upwork downloaded file, uparchived it and saw that .exe inside) message was blocked.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
98 of 161

Yuri G wrote:

It allowed to send executables (zipped) in past.

Now I tried to upload zipped exe to side resource and posted url to that file to chat with client - after a few seconds (it seems that Upwork downloaded file, uparchived it and saw that .exe inside) message was blocked.

This is because Upwork does some ham-fisted "data sanitization" on every file uploaded where they "deconstruct and rebuild" (but no word on what that entails) each file, and act as if everything is malicious by default. However, .exe, .bat, and .vbs are expressly prohibited. Putting them in a zip file makes no difference, as the system looks inside archives.

If you need to submit an executable file, your best bet is to do what Preston said and get it to them another way. However, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive won't work, because Upwork scans files shared through those as well. Your best bet is something like FTP or a direct link to a server you control, and send that information in your "submit work and request payment" message.

Highlighted
99 of 161

Michael S wrote:

Your best bet is something like FTP or a direct link to a server you control, and send that information in your "submit work and request payment" message.

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I did in chat before my message was blocked after few seconds. The difference that it was HTTPs URL to file on my server. Next time I will try to test this method in "submit work" message.

I understand the security reasons, but Upwork just blocks the content. Even without button "okay, I understand, I will use it for my own risk, just give me that &!%$ file!". This is very inconvenient for the programmers. While Upwork has UI to upload and attach files, it forces freelancers to use side resources for that...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
100 of 161

Yuri G wrote:

I understand the security reasons, but Upwork just blocks the content. Even without button "okay, I understand, I will use it for my own risk, just give me that &!%$ file!". This is very inconvenient for the programmers. While Upwork has UI to upload and attach files, it forces freelancers to use side resources for that...

That's a very real and very valid frustration, in my opinion. They encourage you to use their system, but sometimes that very system makes it nearly impossible to accomplish a task.

As for their UI for sending files, I don't even bother with it for one reason. You're limited to 25mb. Not a viable option for a lot of people, especially content creators. Most of the files I deliver are uncompressed WAV audio, which isn't huge, but adds up. For people who do video work for clients, the filesizes get downright insane at times.

Really, the only thing uploading direct is good for would be document work and things of that nature. The rest of us just have to use other methods to save our sanity.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS