cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

Pedro B Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
61 of 165

Removing contents of the files is not really effective against all threats and virus. That's a win for them if the purpose was to disrupt the service.

Everybody knows that these days false positives are common and that's why I also have never seen any platform blocking the files instead of warning the users and let them decide.

The files still get sent by other means, be that email or cloud drives, so the end result of all this is just more work for Upwork users (and that work is way beyond just sending the files by other means).

If there's some real valid reason (I can see them but I will not say so it just doesn't get repeated after me), that should be explained so people understand.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
62 of 165

I completely agree with Pedro.

Due to this and other problems with the Messages app I now use email or slack for all my communication with regular clients. In future I will suggest switching at an earlier stage of working with a client.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
63 of 165

I discovered this morning that the files I upload to clients are being sanitized. In the process, the edit tracking I have done is being removed. As an editor, edit tracking is a lot of what I do. Why is Upwork trying to destroy my business?

Ace Contributor
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
64 of 165

Well Joan,

Prepared to have someone from Upwork tell you that it's there to protect you, the virus scanner that constantly flags false positives and makes edits to your files, that is.

No other software company does this, but rest assured Upwork knows the very best.

Community Guru
65 of 165

Thanks, Jordon. I know that Upwork thinks they are protecting freelancers and clients but they are destroying my business if they remove work I have done for clients. In addition, I have a very good security system on my computer and I don't need Upwork interfering with my work. I am still furious. 

Ace Contributor
66 of 165

I don't blame you at all Joan

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
67 of 165

I regularly (not often, but regularly) have clients tell me the files I send to them attached to Upwork messages cannot be opened (presumably due to some sort of corruption in transit).

Upwork has no rule against sending files to clients via email, so that's a simple fix. A pain to send a copy of every message via Upwork's message system (so there is a confirmable record of the attached file being sent) AND send the same file via email, but a simple fix.

Upwork's programmers must be very busy with other things - this problem has been around for a while.

Community Guru
68 of 165

Will - I have had to sometimes send files to clients by email - and vice versa - so I know it can be done successfully - but it is just a big pain. Upwork's site works so well in many ways - but not in this security business.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
69 of 165

Joan, there is no reason you should have to and it's obviously inexcusable that Upwork altered (in this case, destroyed) your work product without your knowledge. But, this is easily remedied by sending files via email, Google Docs, Dropbox, etc. 

ETA: Makes you wonder how many disputes where the client said the freelancer "didn't do anything" and the freelancer insisted he/she did were actually the result of Upwork undoing the work before passing the files on.

Ace Contributor
70 of 165

At the very least they could offer up some sort of warning, but they don't.

That on top of them insisting on keeping conversation within Upwork, it's just beyond ridiculous.  

They should do a better job of notifying the freelancer so they can choose another route, and/or the client to let them know that it was flagged, and for what reason, and common false flag occurances.

I'm not sure what the devs are doing, but there are a ton of little frustrating bugs across this site that need fixing and it's a tad embarassing coming from a company who overwhelmingly makes money off web dev projects and then hires devs from their own platform. 

It doesn't paint a good picture for the quality freelancers who do web dev when you hire from the same pool and your site has so many issues.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS