Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* Attachment are getting Sanitized

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
71 of 165

Jordon B wrote:

That on top of them insisting on keeping conversation within Upwork, it's just beyond ridiculous.  

They don't, though. I can see how you would be misled since you get that pop-up in messaging that says "be sure to keep messaging in Upwork" or something like that but you're free to communicate with your client however the two of you choose. Just keep payment through Upwork.

Ace Contributor
Maria P Member Since: Jul 14, 2019
72 of 165

I'm shocked to say the least. Makes me wonder what my clients have been receiving from me...

Joan, how did you discover that? Did the client tell you or did Upwork give you some sort of notification?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
73 of 165

Maria P wrote:

I'm shocked to say the least. Makes me wonder what my clients have been receiving from me...

Joan, how did you discover that? Did the client tell you or did Upwork give you some sort of notification?

I noticed it today too, immediately after I sent a file through messenger a notice came up in the messenger (as part of my message) that the file has been sanitized. Needless to say I was upset too, because I always wash my hands before eating and so on. No kidding aside, I was concerned too and did not know if the client received the file intact or not. 

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
74 of 165

Martina - I just uploaded a file to a client and so far it has not been sanitized. Very mysterious goings-on today.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
75 of 165

Joan's thread absolutely should not have been merged here, into a thread with a header about PDF files. This issue obviously impacts file types that non-technical people use and would not anticipate having issues with work being stripped out.

ETA: Thanks Valeria. Good quick fix.

Ace Contributor
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
76 of 165

The message is infact insisting that you stay on the platform.  I did not say anything about their rules.

Community Guru
77 of 165

Maria - I only found out because I uploaded some files and all of a sudden a notice appeared that they were "sanitized." Then I checked other clients and all the files had those notices although the notices were not there yesterday. I then discovered that one is able to download an original file that has not been sanitized with a caution notice attached - but no explanation about that or how to do it. I just discovered that ability on my own. So, in addition to being an editor, I now have to be a computer whiz.

Community Guru
78 of 165

Valeria - I discovered this morning that my files that I send to clients are being "sanitized."  What this means is that some of my edit tracking is removed from the files. As an editor, it is important that I am able to send my clients their files with the edit tracking that I have done. Why on earth is Upwork removing my work!!!!!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
79 of 165

Hi Joan and others,

I have merged new threads about this topic to the larger conversation we've had about it.

In some cases malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas, or active content that is deemed potentially malicious.

You'll start seeing notifications when this is done on browser version of Messages starting today and in Upwork Desktop App starting next week. You and your client will also see an option to download the original file by clicking the three dots to the right of the file name and selecting “Download Original File.” In other words, you and your client will have access to the original without having to contact Customer Support.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
80 of 165

I'd like to follow up and share screenshots of what the notifications look like when a file is sanitized with the option to download the original. Please, see below:

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS