🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: **Edited** Scam?
Page options
3c1196ca
Community Member

**Edited** Scam?

Hi, I recently applied to a job **Edited for community guidelines**

The hiring manager wanted to conduct the interview through Skype or Telegram. I've attached a link to the PDF below with instructions for the interview. I'm starting to believe it may be a scam. He introduced himself as **Edited for community guidelines**, and he is only willing to do an interview through Telegram messages. I asked for it to be done here on Upwork, but he said no. I've also noticed a lot of grammatical errors in his texts too. I also searched through these forums and noticed similar incidents with this same "company." What should I do?

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10
Community Member

Yes, they are using that name and hitting proofreaders pretty hard right now.

Be sure to go to the job post and flag it.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi My,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I've escalated this to our team and the project has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client's account. 

Please check this thread for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
4bb9b298
Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know about this! In my experience anyone that wants to immedietley work outside of the Upwork system is a scammer.

Thanks

4bb9b298
Community Member

Why can't we know who to look out for?

petra_r
Community Member

Luke A wrote:

Why can't we know who to look out for?

Because you don't need to know. 

1. Because those people obviously use names of real companies and people who have nothing to do with the scammers. Do you think it would be acceptable to have their names linked with scammers on the net?

2. It is impossible to get scammed by them without violating Upwork's terms of service. 

So all you need is just a little bt of common sense and a lack of willingness to violate the rules, and you'll be safe.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths