cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: *Edited* is down again.

logogeeks
David M Member Since: Dec 26, 2016
11 of 16

I guess we'll just do our best to soldier on; we've put our voices out there;  Best we can do:)

~Dave

firescue17
Community Guru
Steve L Member Since: May 5, 2015
12 of 16

@David M wrote:

the correct way to address changes on a website is to have a mirror of said side in a sandbox environment and make sure all changes work there.. then implement them "live" or with a 15 minute downtime.

I can't begin to tell you how Upwork implements their changes so I'm not going to speculate.. but to answer that question.. the whole site doesn't have to go down.

This is a great post; almost like a riddle.

It's best read backwards, starting with the last sentence of the second paragraph lol

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
13 of 16

Well, in fairness, sometimes I go to Amazon and find their site has been taken down for maint.. ah... er...

Never mind.

ETA: I will say that I prefer they err on the side of caution. If a few hours of announced-in-advance weekend downtime will prevent weekday downtime and especially data loss or major issues, I can live with it. I am sure they could find ways to prevent the downtime, but it's not a huge deal when it is planned.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 16

Charles,

The problem is that it does not seem to avoid it.
An hour ago I received this:

"Partial Service Disruptionon Upwork
AFFECTED COMPONENTS
Login & Registration

UPDATE
Some of you may be having occasional issues with parts of Upwork. We're aware of the issue and the team is working on fixing this right away. "

On Monday, after the Saturday maintenance:

"Degraded Performance
on Upwork
AFFECTED COMPONENTS
Other site features or areas

UPDATE
Some of you may be having occasional issues with parts of Upwork. We're aware of the issue and the team is working on fixing this right away. "

And so...

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
15 of 16

Valeria,

Luckily I usually have the email address of all my clients, because with so much fall of the portal and, especially the 5 hours of maintenance on Saturdays (in addition to the other "little" falls), this is a disaster!

I can not understand that a portal like Upwork has to be inactive for so many hours.
Also, it seems that you give of course that we do not work on Saturdays.
Neither us nor our clients, of course.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
16 of 16

I wasn't aware of the outage today until reading this thread, but ironically, am also dealing with a (perspective) client today. This guy sent me a message a little while before the outage today, and I replied right away.

Did not hear back from him until mid-afternoon, so I bet he was trying to send messages while the site was down. The really funny part of this: He wanted me to accept a meeting invite via Gmail. I got no problem with that. Every once in a while clients want to do something like that. When I sent him Gmail to confirm the meeting invitation, I also said:

Note: I typically don't use the Upwork Message Center much, as it's either buggy or unavailable most of the time.

Little did I know the entire SITE had been down for a bit. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS