🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » *Edited* price dumping
Page options
a_perev
Community Member

*Edited* price dumping

Hello,

My current client was ready to start a job with me. But now there is and **Edited for Community Guidelines** guy that lowered price by 6 times. Price that inacceptable for western market at all. Do you know if it is possible to do something about this? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Alex

10 REPLIES 10
ahmad2474
Community Member

If the Client wish to go with him then no one can do anything here

petra_r
Community Member

Aleksej P wrote:

. Do you know if it is possible to do something about this?

Do something about this... like... what, exactly?

It's a global marketplace and most clients learn in due course that they get what they pay for.

valery221166
Community Member

They use to call this thing KARMA.

Client needs to pass this exam to understand the real situation.

If he doesn't realize the real situation, we can do nothing.

I highly don't reccomend you to decrease your rates because of such situations.

Keep calm. The right client will find you in right moment.

Clients are free to choose whichever freelancers they want to and for any reason. 

The only thing you can 'do about it' is to submit proposals strong enough to convince the client that they should recruit you over the others, regardless of cost. Many clients look for quality rather than getting it done cheaply. 

florydev
Community Member

I choose not to see it the way you do.  If someone can provide the exact same service as me and chooses to do it cheaper than one of us is a fool (and it's certainly not me).  

But that is not really what I think about it either.  I don't believe in the commoditization of skills.  I think if all you can compete on is a particular skill then you are always subject to someone undercutting your price.  But good clients, by and large, are not interested in skills but in solutions to their problems, I believe this so I don't market my skills but what I can give the client by applying them.  If someone undercuts me by presenting a comparable solution at a much reduced price then more power to them, but again, one of us is a fool. 

So you didn't lose to someone who undrecut you on price.  If the other freelancer provides a great solution they lost but undervalue what they do.  If they don't provide a great solution then the client lost.  

Your job is to find the next client because that one was not really yours.

If you are a freelancer and you offer to do "Task X" for $100.00.

And there's this other freelancer, who offers to do "Task X" for $10.00.

Then a client would be a fool to pay you $100 to do something he can get done for $10.

I think there ARE examples of this price disparity on Upwork.

But I think what happens MORE often is that somebody offers to do "Task X" for $10, but the work that he turns in isn't actually usable, and the client ends up hiring somebody else to redo it.

After clients experience this a few times, they stop trying to hire somebody to do "Task X" for $10.

Some of those clients start hiring more qualified freelancers from the outset. And others start hiring FAR MORE qualified freelancers.

Many of the clients who send me invites, asking to pay me $200 for "Task X" are simply tired of wasting their time and money on $10 freelancers.

Preston H wrote:

If you are a freelance and you offer to do "Task X" for $100.00.

And there's this other freelancer, who offers to do "Task X" for $10.00.

I think this is the key point that freelancers miss in obsessing about how others are pricing: in most freelancing fields, there is really no such thing as an interchangeable "Task X." 

The logo you purchase for $10 is not the logo you purchase for $100 is not the logo you purchase for $10,000. Even within price point ranges, different freelancers bring different things to the table. 

Freelancers who bid, price, and interact with clients as if they are providing the exact same service as other freelancers are missing the most important aspect of the sales and client relationship development process.

tlbp
Community Member

Aleksej P wrote:

Hello,

My current client was ready to start a job with me. But now there is and indian guy that lowered price by 6 times. Price that inacceptable for western market at all. Do you know if it is possible to do something about this? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Alex

I suggest that you either lower your price by 6 times or be prepared to convince future prospective clients that you are worth 6 times more than your competitor. 

lol....I have been in an 'active candidacies' with a certain client for a few weeks now.

Twice he asked me for a quote...and I gave it both times. He certainly seems interested but the moment the green stuff is mentioned he goes quiet on me. 

And so the saga continues...

Why don't I withdraw my initial application?

Why should I? It cost me connects to initially apply. He can just sit in my messaging as far as I am concerned. 

Que sera sera. 

wontone9
Community Member

Aleksej P wrote:

Hello,

My current client was ready to start a job with me. But now there is and indian guy that lowered price by 6 times. Price that inacceptable for western market at all. Do you know if it is possible to do something about this? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Alex

Cant do any thing in this?  It depend up on the client.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members