cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Edited* wages?

meggskeating
Margaret Aka Meggs K Member Since: Nov 30, 2017
1 of 9

Does no one monitor these potential employers to ensure they're offering at least minimum wage? I'm shocked at $3/hour as a common offering, or $6/flat rate, and then the expectations are ludicrous.

voskerchian
Community Guru
Hasmik V Member Since: Aug 12, 2017
2 of 9

Hello Margaret,
Well, it is up to the freelancer to choose who to work with and how much to get paid. Sometimes freelancers start with minimum payments and have a great success in a short time. Only skills and professionality make the client pay higher, and for those who can afford minimum payments, there are always people, sometimes great ones, who are ready to work.

Happy freelancing!

genericuser12345
Ace Contributor
Zak Y Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
3 of 9

But what if someone only has a skill set worth $5 / hr? Should they be priced out of the marketplace just because you don't want to do those jobs? If you set a minimum wage on upwork of $8 / hr those people won't get any work, which is really too bad because they probably need work more than you do.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 9

Why would an international freelancing site concern itself with the U.S. minimum wage for employees? There is no minimum wage for independent contractors, and there are hundreds of thousands of freelancers here who live and work outside of the U.S.

The freelancers who are most successful here are the ones who don't waste their time and energy being shocked at the jobs that have nothing to do with them and focus on the ones that are appealing to them.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

Why would a $ 25 an hour freelancer concern herself with $ 3 an hour offers?

Those freelancers working at $ 3 an hour are not your competition, and frankly their life choices are none of your business.

Do you understand that for many working at $ 3 an hour from their own home is the alternative to not working at all, or working for 15 (!!!!!) hours in a factory under inhumane conditions for the same $ 3?

This is a gobal marketplace. There is space for everyone from the $ 3 an hour freelancer to the $ 150 an hour freelancer and beyond.

When the $ 3 an hour inimum was introduced the people who screamed loudest were not clients, it was the $ 2 and $ 1 an hour freelancers who suddenly no longer had a way to feed their families.

Not only does "minimum wage" not apply to freelancers at all, whose minimum wage would you like to see enforced?  $ 3 an hour is well above minimum wage in the mjority of countries in the world.

Someone on minimum wage is Sierra Leone would have to work 100 (!!!!) hours for $ 3.00

A doctor in the Philippines earns on average $ 4 an hour...

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
6 of 9

Just to add: minimum wage doesn't apply to Freelancers. 

If you don't want to work for less, don't bid on lowball jobs. On those rare occasions in which I get an interview invitation for a job that pays too far under my rate, I'll very often accept the interview but change it to my preferred rate. 

Most often, they don't respond, or else just reject it because I charge more than they want to pay. Fair enough. 

The problem with setting a minimum rate like, say, $10 an hour is that it sets up an expectation among clients that the minimum IS the going rate -- which means, ironically, our ability to get GOOD paying gigs decreases. 

When you set a minimum in the higher range, you're telling clients, in effect, that this is what the job is valued at. Whether that's the intention or not. 

I used to deliver pizza. In order to ensure drivers got SOMETHING for their trouble, many delivery restaurants started adding a delivery fee. This actually only paid a very small portion to the driver him or herself, and mostly acted as a way to mitigate the restaurant's loss of labor while the driver was on the road. The RESULT, however, was that many customers assumed the delivery fee was the tip and didn't bother to go above regardless of the cost of the order. 

By setting a low minimum, Upwork is letting clients know that while they are flexible enough to support people in smaller economies, the "minimum rate" is basically a nominal space-filler and that potential clients should be looking at market rates. This actually works well for the most part, and where it doesn't, well, just don't apply. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 9

These are not "potential employers" they are clients seeking to hire freelance workers. There is no such thing as "minimum wage" in the freelance marketplace. We are each a "free lance" in the most literal sense of the words: free to set our own wage, control who we work for, when, where, and how. 

I am shocked by how many times a week someone posts about this.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
8 of 9

@Margaret Aka Meggs K wrote:

Does no one monitor these potential employers to ensure they're offering at least minimum wage? I'm shocked at $3/hour as a common offering, or $6/flat rate, and then the expectations are ludicrous.

Well Megs K as others have pointed out in freelancing there is no minimum.  One thing may help you.  Most clients on Upwork are looking for Bottom of the Barrel cheapest person to work with - even those who post from Canadian Web Design agency.  There is a posting for a website design for Intermediate skill designers (Up work's suggested rate for that skill level is $33+),  They are offering $50 for template set up i.e. dummy images and text and $100 for complete design with images+text+SEO.  I am sure they will be able to find some one, and I am sure they will charge few thousand to some small gullible business in Canada too.  You have pro-account.  You should be able to see the bid range and see if you are competitive.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 9

@Prashant P wrote:

Well Megs K as others have pointed out in freelancing there is no minimum.  One thing may help you.  Most clients on Upwork are looking for Bottom of the Barrel cheapest person to work with

Meggs, as a newcomer it's very important that you don't buy into these broad-stroke negative conclusions that are frequently posted in the forums by dissatisfied freelancers. There are plenty of us who are quite successful here without going anywhere near "bottom of the barrel" rates. There are quite a few successful writers on Upwork whose rates are double, triple, even quadruple your current posted rate. Just hold out for the serious clients and ignore the rest.

If you are highly skilled, don't give a second thought to whether you are "competitive." Bid your rate and let the chips fall. I am often hired by clients who have told me that my bid was the highest they received, after I've bid double their posted budget or more.

If you have skills worth a premium, there are always clients willing to pay that premium.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS