cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dogan Holdings Group

kcupp
Kara C Member Since: Jun 13, 2017
1 of 7

I recieved a message yesterday after a proposal for work. They immediately interviewed me first through upwork chat, then later through google hangout. I was told to report in for work at 9am in my time zone.

This morning was my first "day" of working with them and immediately they asked for my  bank information, I was concerned and extending my distaste for it. I eventually opened a prepaid bank account so I could give them the info (honestly to verify my gut instinct was correct). I have now been working for them all day and just now they told me I am in charge of 8k dollars to be paid to venders. They sent and email requesting my bank log in, passwords, and security questions.

Of course this is a scam but I needed proof! I am now fearful of Upwork..is this common?

timsmith99
Community Leader
Timothy S Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
2 of 7

You're right. This smells of a scam. I wouldn't waste much time trying to prove anything. If it were me, I would report this client to Upwork and end the contract myself.

Never give your bank account information to clients on Upwork.

They could give you any excuse to get your bank information. No matter how legitimate the reason seems, it's still a very bad idea. You could wind up in a huge mess.

------------------------

To answer your question of whether this is common on Upwork: Well, there are a lot of scams on Upwork, so in that sense, they are common.

If you're asking if it's common to give out bank information to work on projects for clients, the answer is no, definitely not. I've never had to give a client my bank account information to successfully complete a project.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@kara wrote:

Of course this is a scam but I needed proof! I am now fearful of Upwork..is this common?

When you go to "My Jobs" - is there a contract? If not, you are not hired, you don't have a job, and you are violating Upwork terms of service.

they told me I am in charge of 8k dollars to be paid to venders. They sent and email requesting my bank log in, passwords, and security questions.

Of course this is a scam but I needed proof!

What more proof would you possibly need????

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 7

This is a common scam on Upwork and in other places freelancers seek out work. There are many others.

Upwork, generally, is pretty safe if you understand and follow the rules. It seems like maybe you haven't fully educated yourself, or you would have known that even if this weren't a scam, accepting money directly from a client is a serious TOS violation that would get you kicked off of Upwork.

You really need to visit the "New Freelancers" section and read the TOS and make sure you are confident in how you're using Upwork.

A few tips to start (not enough--fully educate yourself)

-People who interview through Google Hangouts are usually scammers. I have no idea why that correlation, but that's how it is on Upwork

-Anyone who asks for financial information is a scammer

-Anyone who wants to pay you outside the platform is either a scammer or is about to get your account closed by luring you into breaking Upwork's number one rule

When in doubt, come here first. We've seen a lot of repetitive scams, and if you tell us what the client has asked for, someone will be able to help you understand what's happening and whether it's safe to proceed.

Report this client to Upwork if you haven't already.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Kara,

As other pointed out on this thread it's against Upwork ToS to offer and accept payments outside of Upwork and the job has already been removed as it was violating ToS. Please, check out this post to make sure you protect yourself in the future.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

re: "I am now fearful of Upwork..is this common?"

I do not think you need to be fearful of Upwork.

I am not fearful of Upwork.

Is this kind of scam common? Newbie entry-level freelancers are commonly targeted by scammers using this and similar scams.

But I never receive invitations from scammers. So the answer to your question depends on who you are. With my level of experience, scammers simply don't bother sending me invitations. I receive great invitations from great clients.

In my personal experience, most clients are fantastic people to work with.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

But I never receive invitations from scammers. So the answer to your question depends on who you are. With my level of experience, scammers simply don't bother sending me invitations. I receive great invitations from great clients.

I still get invitations from scammers. Many more good ones than scam ones, but I still get a couple of scammers a month or so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS