🐈 Community
aleksandrhovh

Editing a client's website: they missed a couple edits/suggestions.

Hey everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I was hired by a foreign client to edit the website content for his company's new product, and he said he really liked my edits (and in fact implemented a majority of them). However, it seems he missed a couple changes here and there, and he kept a few of his original (and poorly-worded) sentences over my revisions.

I was hoping to one day feature this project on my portfolio, but unfortunately, I can't do so because of these inconsistencies, as they'll reflect poorly on me and my skills.

Should I just let it go and pass up on adding this to my portfolio, or should I kindly follow-up with the client and let them know that I noticed a few additional things that would need to be taken care of?

Thanks 🙂

-Aleksandr

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Aleksandr,  for the client's sake I think you should let him know where the errors are and send (resend) your corrections.  

I always include a final walk-through of a website before it goes live as a part of my quote.  Doing this allows me to check for any errors from something missed as in your case to odd spacing, etc. 

Your client will appreciate it ... and IMO, it is something all FLers should do - whether using the site for their portfolio or not.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r

What is "a foreign client" on a global platform, I wonder......

I would let the client know, no harm done.

By foreign, I meant he's a non-native-English-speaking client (and hence the need for editing his writing).

Thanks!

Hi Aleksandr,  for the client's sake I think you should let him know where the errors are and send (resend) your corrections.  

I always include a final walk-through of a website before it goes live as a part of my quote.  Doing this allows me to check for any errors from something missed as in your case to odd spacing, etc. 

Your client will appreciate it ... and IMO, it is something all FLers should do - whether using the site for their portfolio or not.

Thank you very much for the advice, Wendy! I'll go ahead and let them know.

It's a website.

By definition, a website is never finished.

It can always be edited further and improved upon.

It can always be changed and made worse, as well.

If this is a concern, and you want to include the website in your portfolio, then simply include static pages in your potfolio. In the form of HTML pages or a PDF file. Don't link to an actual site.

(Of course, this is all done with the permission of the content owner.)

That's a great point, Preston, thank you! I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Learning Paths