cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educating Your Clients

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 17

Today I applied for a job and noticed the client had never left written feedback for a freelancer (many of them) and when being interviewed I wrote this after answering his questions.

As well could you please tell me why you never leave any written feedback for your Freelancers? This makes you an unattractive employer. All freelancer's Job Success scores are based on the rating you give and the written feedback you leave. Freelances receive "stiff penalties" when no feedback is given or a job is not closed. You seem to have many jobs in progress that have been there for years.

I decided I could take the job or leave it so I wasn't worried about what I said to him. I did try to be professional.

He wrote back and said he had no idea about the penalities and said he would immediately close jobs and leave both a rating and written feedback.

This is what we are dealing with and if no one educates our clients on the importance of closing jobs and leaving feedback then who will? UpWork is not educating them so we must. I guess that's part of our contract with UpWork as well as all the other rules.

I would prefer that UpWork, in trying to create a professional experience for the Client, do something to create a professional experience for Frelancers. How can we be punished for something a Client does not even understand.

Just my thoughts.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
2 of 17

That is exactly what I stated in another post 30 minutes ago - THEY DON'T KNOW! And Upwork doesn't educate them at all.

Sorry for yelling.

Community Guru
3 of 17

Exactly.

So why do we get punished for something UpWork does not teach them?? The answer has to be they think it's our job to do that.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 17

"Our job"? That unpaid job? Just like support....

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
5 of 17

I've been screaming for improved client training since before Connects launched. Jean, I have to wonder about this client you mention, as I recently heard from another freelancer who had just went onboard with a client just like you describe. How can long term clients be so totally obvlious to this aspect of Upwork?  Furthermore, seeing that a client has never provided feedback tells me something else about them:

The freelancers who worked for them were either clueless or unprofessional. I realize this is a very inflamitory statement, but for goodness sakes! As a remote contractor, you should be fully informed about the plateform that you use to sell your services. Because the Upwork reputation management system goes both ways, all freelancers should be upfront and transperent with every client about the way the contract should be handled before your hired, what happens while your working for the client, and what should happen after the contract ends.

I don't blame the freelancer base for this specifically. We are handed so many different "this is how it's done" support pages. We get vague answers in the forums and from Support. Complete understanding of the "best practices" regarding client and reputation management can only be gained by reading many different support pages and parsing that data into a cohesive standard that should be followed.

I have a mental "picture" of what should be done from the intial bid all the way down to having that final "end of contract" Skype talk or email. But this has only been gained through years working through the system on Upwork.

We could really use a support page for Freelancers & Clients that addresses these specific concepts in an easy to read format that everyone could print as a PDF and keep on their computer to refer to.

Community Guru
6 of 17

I'm considering a tagline in every application that says:

Tagline...Did you know a Freelancer's Job Success score is based on your rating and written feedback? Close it, rate it, write it.

Community Guru
7 of 17

@Jean S wrote:

I'm considering a tagline in every application that says:

Tagline...Did you know a Freelancer's Job Success score is based on your rating and written feedback? Close it, rate it, write it.

That's an insanely cool idea. Jean, can I steal that? Pretty please, please please?

/me laughs.

In all seriousess though, the idea of a tagline in general is a good one. I'm going to do that the next time I have to bid on jobs.

Community Guru
8 of 17

Now I'm thinking tagline of .pdf attachment outlining some things. Steal away !!

Community Guru
9 of 17

@Jean S wrote:

Now I'm thinking tagline of .pdf attachment outlining some things. Steal away !!

I already have something I sometimes attach, and nobody has complained. I don't always get those jobs, but it shows I know what the hell I am doing on Upwork, heh.  Sometimes I feel like an attachment is overkill though, so something like a Tagline inside a letter is a great alternative. Thanks for the idea Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
10 of 17

Steal away !! LOL you crack me up [too].

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS