Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of contract inactivity to Job Success

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tasos V Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
1 of 41

I have a client which I work with him for the last 1.5 month. We will probably close the contract in a week since I finish the job, but he suggested to me to open a new contract for maintance of his project. This could mean only a couple of hours per month. Can this inactivity on the contract affect somehow my Job Success score or bring more troubles to suspend my account?

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 41

No, it won't affect you negatively, as long as there is some activity! The fact that he hired you again may even go in your favour!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
3 of 41

Decided to ask my question in this old thread...

I know that inactive Contracts affect the JSS in a negative way after about a month of inactivity.

Is this also the case when the inactive Contract contains a funded Milestone?

My situation:

At the moment I have an open Contract. Several Milestones have been paid in the past, but at the moment the Contract has been inactive for 2 or 3 months. The next Milestone has already been funded. Communication with the Client is great and I know she's coming with the next assignment, she just doesn't know when. Is this open Contract affecting me negatively or can I leave it open since it's already been funded?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 41

Hi Ramon,

Please, note that the contracts with funds in Escrow that stay inactive for more than 90 days will have to be closed in order to comply with Escrow rules. You and your client will be notified 2 weeks in advance. If you and the client are planning on using the contract in the near future and release the funded milestone, you can certainly keep it open, if not, I would suggest closing it and creating a new contract whenever there is more work available.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
5 of 41

Thanks for the quick replies. I have contacted the Client to ask if she can close the Contract and re-open a new one when the new assignment arrives.

However, my initial question remains:

Does an inactive Contract with a Funded Milestone have a negative influence on the Job Success Score?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 41

@Valeria K wrote:

Please, note that the contracts with funds in Escrow that stay inactive for more than 90 days will have to be closed in order to comply with Escrow rules....

Valeria,

Contractors have reported that autoclosure is not happening, and I recall you or another Upwork saying autoclosrue had been suspended. Has it been resumed? Or is Upwork now out of compliance with escrow rules?

Thanks and best,

Michael

Highlighted
7 of 41

Hi Michael,

Fixed-price contracts with funds in Escrow are still being auto-closed after 90 days of inactivity to comply with the Escrow rules. Currently, contracts without funded Escrow are not auto-closed. We ran into some nuances when we started doing this, but it is on our radar to complete the process.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 41
Hi Valeria,

Thanks for the clarification on autoclosure!

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Nataliia T Member Since: Nov 25, 2015
9 of 41

Dear Valeria,

Please, help me!

I have 2 open contracts more than 1 year ago! The clients were very happy with my work and we finished absolutely everything. I've been contacting clients, asking them to end these contracts, but I don't get any answer.
Yesterday my SJ was down a little, and I think these contracts could affect this. Please, help me to close them without the problems for me!

Highlighted
10 of 41

Hi Nataliia,

Since you contacted your clients and haven't heard back, you can go ahead and close those contracts yourself. Especially if you don't expect to do any more work on them. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS