Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of contract inactivity to Job Success

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
21 of 41

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

How about hourly based contracts with no activity at all? I've already contacted the clients but they wanted to keep it open for future tasks. It's been months since they paused the contract though. Shall I close the contracts or wait a while longer? 

I would appreciate a moderator's answer on this one as well.

We all know that having inactive fixed-price contracts is being frowned upon by UW. Hence, the introduction of auto-closure for fixed-price contracts, which seems to have had its 15 minutes of fame and gone out of style very quickly. Nevertheless, one should get rid of those, one way or another, the sooner, the better.

BUT - I remember, quite clearly, being told that dormant hourly contracts were treated differently, because for some odd reason, UW considered having those as more "normal". I asked several times and the answer remained the same: no need to worry about paused hourly contracts.

Has that changed recently?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
22 of 41
Funny Ela, I've read differently - dormant (paused) hourly contracts, whether they had hours logged in the past or no hours at all, negatively affect your JSS score.

This is why I've been asking all clients of paused contracts to end them. A couple of them don't want to because they say there'll be more work for me soon!
oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
23 of 41

I suspect Upwork hasn't decided what to do with paused hourly contracts yet, otherwise we'd have it clear by now. My experience with closing some of my paused contracts has shown me that almost every one of them was followed by a decrease in the percentage of long-term clients. Now, it seems long-term contracts provide freelancers with a cushion, so I have decided (?) to stop ending paused contracts for now.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 41

Hi Ela,

Hourly contracts, unlike idle fixed-price contracts with funded Escrow, don't get auto-closed. If you have contacted your client, haven't heard back and do not expect to be using your hourly contract, you can close it yourself.

~ Valeria
Upwork
elastella
Community Guru
25 of 41

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela,

Hourly contracts, unlike idle fixed-price contracts with funded Escrow, don't get auto-closed. If you have contacted your client, haven't heard back and do not expect to be using your hourly contract, you can close it yourself.

Valeria,

Thanks for replying, but you haven't answered my question.

Ela

elastella
Community Guru
26 of 41

My doubts are based on this:

If inactive/paused hourly contracts have indeed the same negative effect on the JSS as dormant fixed-price contracts - why does UW allow clients to manually pause/reactivate hourly contracts?

(I get why UW auto-pauses them after 30 days of inactivity. It's a security measure and that's fine.)

But, if and when UW makes a feature such as the pausing & unpausing of hourly contracts available to clients, it more than suggests that 'taking a break' and resuming such contracts at some point in the (near or distant) future is a perfectly acceptable practice. How can this, at the same time, be a practice that harms the other party?

help center.png

"Until you are ready" - could be a week, could be a year!

And while clients are told that it's OK to wait for weeks or months on end, a provider's JSS suffers.

Perfect.

V 21.06.2015.png

I really think UW needs to reconsider its approach.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 41

Hi Ela and Michael,

The fact that a contract is paused doesn't have any effect on the Job Success score. Contracts that are idle for a long period of time do. However, we will not be able to share the details and exact time frames, as well as the exact amount of contracts without feedback that affect the Job Success score.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
28 of 41

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela and Michael,

The fact that a contract is paused doesn't have any effect on the Job Success score. Contracts that are idle for a long period of time do. However, we will not be able to share the details and exact time frames, as well as the exact amount of contracts without feedback that affect the Job Success score.

Thank you.

Valeria, please explain why that is when sporadic work is very typical and normal. Upwork should not be in the business of deciding how often clients should need their contractor. If it's just twice a year - so be it - that's their perogative and it's not Upwork's place to decide that the FREELANCER should be punished because the CLIENT wants to keep a freelancer on board but doesn't have regular work to do.

elastella
Community Guru
29 of 41

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela and Michael,

Thank you.

That is really splitting hair, isn't it?

Having paused hourly contracts in itself doesn't impact the JSS negatively. Fine. What's missing is, "but only for an undisclosed period of time". Then 'paused' suddenly means 'idle' and the negative effect sets in.

UW tells my clients it's perfectly fine to keep paused contracts open (read 'idle') until they need my services again. Whenever that may be.

However, I have to tell them that's it's actually NOT OK for me, despite UW providing them with a feature to pause/unpause contracts as they see fit. That's why some clients are not willing to end those contracts. And, for the umpteenth time: Why should they? It only means more work for them.

Why don't you, at least, include the info about idle contracts having a negative impact on a provider's JSS in the help documentation I posted earlier? My guess? Because clients, just like freelancers, would want to know exactly WHEN the negative effect sets in. Alas, the top secret information that cannot be made public.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
30 of 41

@Ela K wrote:

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela,

Valeria,

Thanks for replying, but you haven't answered my question.

Ela 

This happens a lot...a whole LOT.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS