Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of contract inactivity to Job Success

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
31 of 41

I think Upwork or Valeria needs to understand the meaning of majority.

Majority

a number that is greater than half of a totala number

Every freelancer here is being punished because less than half of their jobs are No Feedback

When you say "only if the majority" then that means more than 50%

Why are we constantly fed mistruths.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
32 of 41

@Jean S wrote:

I think Upwork or Valeria needs to understand the meaning of majority.

Majority

a number that is greater than half of a totala number

Every freelancer here is being punished because less than half of their jobs are No Feedback

When you say "only if the majority" then that means more than 50%

Why are we constantly fed mistruths.

Never mind about majority, Jean, she took it back: No numbers or ratios shall be given.

While the impression of mistruth or untruth goes hand in glove with this deliberate vagueness, I'm more concerned about our being held accountable, in a punitive way, for not meeting secret criteria. Were Upwork an employer trying to pull such shenanigans, they would find themselves in a court of law.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 41

Valeria,

In your post from June, shown below by Ela, you write:

"Contracts without feedback are excluded from Job Success score calculation unless they constitute the majority of your work history."

I must have missed this in the flurry of vague and contradictory statements from Upwork about what constitutes excessive no-feedback contracts. May we regard your—at long last!—quantifiable statement above as the definitive criterion for the JSS no-feedback penalty?

Thanks and best,

Michael

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
34 of 41

Only saw Valeria's most recent reply now.

"The fact that a contract is paused doesn't have any effect on the Job Success score."

Great, no problem.

"Contracts that are idle for a long period of time do."

What on Earth?? Looks like I was right in asking my paused contract clients to close the job! In future, I will share this official statement with them so that they don't get annoyed with me for asking them to end the contract.

"However, we will not be able to share the details and exact time frames, as well as the exact amount of contracts without feedback that affect the Job Success score."

Sorry, what's the worst that could happen if you do share these details? Maybe then clients and freelancers could work together on a non-scheming platform?

Contracts that are paused for a long time do NOT mean that the client is unhappy with the freelancer. It just means that they don't have work for us 24/7 (shocking, I know); and rather than going through the bother of closing and starting a new contract (and it is a bother according to several of my clients), they keep it open so that they can just send us some work whenever it's available.

So should a freelancer get punished for that? According to Upwork, yes.

These rules makes absolutely no sense and I'm tired of hearing the lame excuse that freelancers will use this info to "game the system".

Valeria, I get that this is the official response you're supposed to give us, but can't you ask the team to come up with something less infuriating than that?

shabanam-lohiya
Shabanam L Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
35 of 41

Hello Upworkers,

My JSS was 97% with Top Rated status, Then suddenly it decreased by 5% in the next updation cycle.

then i found on the internet that inactive contracts wont count in the JSS, so i had a inactive contract with 500 hours and with good paid by client so i contact my client and told him to end the project with positive feedback if he don not have more work for me.

so will upwork increase my JSS in this week by counting this contact with positive feedback...?

Thanks.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 41

Hi Shabanam,

We can't share specific details or predict users Job Success Score, but it is advisable to work with your clients and close any open jobs with a prolonged period of inactivity.

Untitled
shabanam-lohiya
Shabanam L Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
37 of 41

Ok Vladimir,

Thanks for your reply.

garriga
Jose G Member Since: May 23, 2016
38 of 41

Really difficult to get the animosity against dormant contracts. An open contract is a mean to keep communication going with a potential loyal contractor. In my field that's where money is. People generally come the first time and get some sort of steep discount, taste the thing and then, eventually-and here it may mean years- they come back with greater tasks and appropriate budgets. 

As it is repeaters will be a lot more rare as the bond kind of goes through the drain. And those repeat contracts tend to be richer as the client is eager to pay a premium rate for known quality. 

In my opinion it just makes the platform a bit unfriendly to some fields of activity, which also already made an effort to fit the model. So, if you operate at a loss to bring enough value to make it work in the long run, the less you expect is not to find atavic roadblocks which mean even less money for all the parties involved. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
39 of 41

Hi Jose,

Please note that you can communicate with clients even if your contract is closed, and they can easily rehire you

once they have more work.

Untitled
mahrous78
Mohamed M Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
40 of 41

Hi,
I had to close 14 inactive elance's contracts about 3 months ago and my Job Success Score dropped 3%, and it is not rising since that time .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS