cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elance/Inactivity/Payment?

karazorel
Mark D Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
1 of 10

So I tried posting this on the elance forums because my issues pertains to that site. But those forums shut down a few days ago, so I'm stuck posting here.

My issue is this:

I have one client that I've done some work for. I like her. She's really nice. I finished up my third assignment for her a week or two ago. I was supposed to get paid, and then do another assignment for a little bit of money (enough to pay my bills for a month anyhow). I haven't heard back from her all week.

I have another client that I really like as well. I finished an assignment for him, but haven't heard back. I'm owed a little less money (not too big a deal, but I still want it).

Now my question is this: supposing that people are on their holiday breaks, will Upwork/Elance still count the assignments that I put in, and the milestones that I set over there for this site here? For without being paid, I've had to seek other work, and now it's getting down to the point where I might have to move out of my place because the bills aren't going to get paid. Not unless I get some No-Doz tablets and work like a horse through Christmas week, anyway.

Now it just so happens that the client I have on Upwork has been in continual contact with me. So I'd like to ask. Is this an Elance thing? Or are people just going away for the holidays and forgetting about stuff for half a little while?

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 10

It seems that we are on the same boat right now, Mark.

I won't mind whether my client will go on a holiday.  I will work on my assignment provided that I am working on an

active contract that has been funded.  When the task is due, I will submit work and request for payment.  But I understand the feeling of wanting to earn.  I am in the same predicament as you do.  So what I am currently doing is that I am submitting proposals while waiting for my client to come back from his holiday and approve of my work.  I think that as long as we have connects we can look for work within the Upwork platform.  And I learned that it really helps to have a business mindset here.  Nothing is permanent.  Freelancing is not a regular job.  Projects do not come in a constant cycle.  This one is for both of us:

decisions3.jpg

karazorel
3 of 10

Okay, I did some more looking into this. I now believe this is an issue caused by elance shutting down its functionality or whatever. The last I heard from the one client was December 16th. The other client last responded to me on December 10th.

I have not been paid for the assignments I've done for either. Being out of contact for ten days seems like more than a holiday vacation, doesn't it? At least it does to me.

This is probably the worst empasse I've had in the 3+ years that I've been working as a freelancer. By now, it seems clear that I will have to find a temporary living situation until I get paid and/or work picks up again. Would it be possible to have confirmation from any moderator here whether elance people are experiencing payment delays?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 10

If you're on Elance, go to the milestones section and click "Request Release" on the escrow and then close the project. You'll be paid in 30 days automatically.

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 10
This widget could not be displayed.

@Mark D wrote:

So I tried posting this on the elance forums because my issues pertains to that site. But those forums shut down a few days ago, so I'm stuck posting here.

My issue is this:

I have one client that I've done some work for. I like her. She's really nice. I finished up my third assignment for her a week or two ago. I was supposed to get paid, and then do another assignment for a little bit of money (enough to pay my bills for a month anyhow). I haven't heard back from her all week.

I have another client that I really like as well. I finished an assignment for him, but haven't heard back. I'm owed a little less money (not too big a deal, but I still want it).

Now my question is this: supposing that people are on their holiday breaks, will Upwork/Elance still count the assignments that I put in, and the milestones that I set over there for this site here? For without being paid, I've had to seek other work, and now it's getting down to the point where I might have to move out of my place because the bills aren't going to get paid. Not unless I get some No-Doz tablets and work like a horse through Christmas week, anyway.

Now it just so happens that the client I have on Upwork has been in continual contact with me. So I'd like to ask. Is this an Elance thing? Or are people just going away for the holidays and forgetting about stuff for half a little while?

Some people need a little nudge to pay the completed milestones. So, it is good to follow-up regularly. However, it happend to me in Elance twice that reputable and honest clients suddenly had a problem with their payment method and therefore the payment has been delayed by two weeks.

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 10

I believe you have 5 days on Elance to file a dispute if it's hourly. Flip that dispute switch if you logged using the tracker on Elance to get paid. They will pay you. It takes about 2 weeks after the client's payment fails. I always gave them until Tuesday to pay and then I'd flip the dispute switch. 

karazorel
7 of 10

Okay, I don't like the idea of disputing a payment with a nice person that I like working for. But it seems like I might have to do that, unfortunately.

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 10

If it's hourly and you used the tracker and their payment method failed, screw 'em. File a dispute.  You'll win. Banks don't trade in nice and nice isn't leaving your freelancer without payment. 

If it's escrow, you don't need to dispute. Just click the release button in the milestone section and you'll get paid at the latest in 30 days. Elance sends messages every Wednesday, so all she has to do is click the release button herself after she gets the messages.

If there is no escrow or it's hourly and  you didn't use the tracker, you're screwed.

karazorel
9 of 10

One (10 days) has money already in the escrow while the other (4-ish days) does not. Fortunately, I didn't do that much work for the other person. I'm not really dealing with banks at all, or anybody that gave me the impression that I might be screwed over. Both seemed like reputable clients. I hope that's still the case, and all this amounts to is a case of the holiday nargles.

lysis10
Community Guru
10 of 10

You've expressed that you're broke. You need to play a little hard ball when it comes to this stuff or you're going to work your way into a homeless shelter. By banks I meant whoever you owe money to. Nobody cares that your client hasn't paid you and nobody wants to pay you. So you have to use the tools that are given to you to protect yourself. 

Always have escrow. No escrow, no workie. The first contract has escrow, so you don't need to dispute or anything. Just go in and click release.

The second one, well, maybe they will come back but you are in the situation where you're screwed unless this person turns out not to be a huge d-bag. You don't ever want to put  yourself in this situation, so you should always demand escrow before delivering work. No escrow, no workie. 

You're on a long road of being totally screwed if you don't play by the rules of the game. I've CYA'd myself and would have lost thousands (no exaggeration) had I not used the tools given to me. MIA clients, people who don't want to escrow everything upfront, people don't want to pay, CCs failing.... all of these have happened to me and because I demanded that escrow is funded and used tracker, I was covered and paid.

Don't be a victim. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS