jsutherland

Elance Telling Freelancers to Join UpWork?

I received an email from Elance that said:

Elance will remain unchanged for now. To maximize innovation, we are focusing development on Upwork and encourage you to join. Benefits of Upwork will include: .......

I'm just wondering why Elance is doing this. 

Are Elance freelancers who join here able to transfer their entire portfolio included ranking stars, job success, portfolio etc. ?

Is this why we have seen a huge influx of new freelancers? What's up with this?

28 REPLIES 28
pandoraharper

@Jean S wrote:

I received an email from Elance that said:

Elance will remain unchanged for now. To maximize innovation, we are focusing development on Upwork and encourage you to join. Benefits of Upwork will include: .......

I'm just wondering why Elance is doing this. 

Are Elance freelancers who join here able to transfer their entire portfolio included ranking stars, job success, portfolio etc. ?

Is this why we have seen a huge influx of new freelancers? What's up with this?

In recent weeks, Garnor and other Mods have said (In the Announcment area threads) that initially all active Elance profiles will be "bridged" to Upwork, and I take that to mean copied.  This was before the most recent change, and I would imagine, since they intend to "take down" Elance in 2 years, that the email you got is simply a means to push more people to be pro-active.

With that being said, the details I've read about this "bridge" would mean that eventually, an active Elance user should see their entire profile "copied" to Upwork.  I have not seen an ETA on this, however.

iaabraham

I got the same email - this is an issue I keep raising but have yet to get a satisfactory answer. I think Valeria (could be Garnor) mentioned that they are working on a way to merge the profiles of those who have accounts on both Elance and oDesk, and the process to one platform could take up to 2 years.

t-hall

What are the benfits listed?

I haven't used elance for a very long time. At the time they had a much better reputation. i wonder why they didn;t merge oDesk into Elance instead? oDesk/Upwork is a technical mess right now and I'm not convinced it will get any better. They keep adding things that never really work like they intended... the more they add, the worse it gets.

@Tony H wrote:

What are the benfits listed?

I haven't used elance for a very long time. At the time they had a much better reputation. i wonder why they didn;t merge oDesk into Elance instead? oDesk/Upwork is a technical mess right now and I'm not convinced it will get any better. They keep adding things that never really work like they intended... the more they add, the worse it gets.

So true.

Community Manager

Hi All,

It's true, we are inviting Elance freelancers and clients to duplicate their profiles on Upwork since Upwork is the platform where we are going to focus innovation and new initiatives. Frelancers will be able to transfer their data, such as feedback, Job Success, earnings, etc, to Upwork. If you have developed profiles on both platforms, please do not duplicate your Elance profile just yet, we will have a solution soon.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have an acount on Elance but hardly use it but i really wish to have my Upwork profile copied there like the way Elance copied here on Upwork hope to have some news soon from officials.

Hi Iftikhar,

Because we're focusing innovation here with Upwork, we're not building a similar bridge for duplicating your Upwork profile on Elance. Also, you'll soon start seeing Elance clients joining the Upwork marketplace as well, giving you the opportunity to apply for any jobs posted.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Iftikhar,

Because we're focusing innovation here with Upwork, we're not building a similar bridge for duplicating your Upwork profile on Elance. Also, you'll soon start seeing Elance clients joining the Upwork marketplace as well, giving you the opportunity to apply for any jobs posted.

Hi Valeria,

It sounds like you are giving favor to Elance freelancers. Since they'll have their history appears here in upwork, they won't have a hard time building their career here. Whilst upwork freelancers who want to try to join Elance has to build career from scratch.

Hi Rodelito,

Thanks for the feedback, if you would like to build an Elance profile you can, nothing is stoping you from doing so. However, we are not bridging profiles from Upwork to Elance. Its just not feasible to bridge users from Upwork to Elance since we are currently focusing our efforts, new features and upgrades on Upwork and thus allowing Elance users to eventually merge their history here. 

-Lena

Untitled

Hi Rodelito! (Kudos). I believe there are a lot of excellent freelancers on Elance that do not yet have an Upwork account or have not had one for very long. Certainly, competition among freelancers on Upwork is going to become even greater.

One advantage Elance freelancers have is that they are already familiar with the practice of allowing free bidding in only one category with subcategories versus paying for the privilege of bidding in multiple categories with subcategories. I believe that will be a feature implemented on Upwork in the future as the phase out of Elance grows nearer.

Ron aka LanWanMan

re: "Whilst upwork freelancers who want to try to join Elance has to build career from scratch."

I don't see any problem with Upwork "favoring" Elance contractors. Yes, they can bring their work histories to Upwork, and Upwork/Odesk contractor's can't go the opposite direction...

So what

You are simply mistaken if you think that it is a good idea at this point to put effort into creating a new Elance profile, or even to begin using Elance via an easy profile-porting tool.

Upwork doesn't want anybody to join Elance at this point. They're maintaining the site, but it has an expiration date on it. (May not be an expiration date set in stone, but the writing is one the wall.)

Thanks Valeria so its better i stick with Upwork to have Elance clients.

tj1972

"In recent weeks, Garnor and other Mods have said (In the Announcment area threads) that initially all active Elance profiles will be "bridged" to Upwork, "

-------------------------

Pleeeeeease, don't touch profiles - at least something is working. Smiley LOL 

I did not get anything from Elance yet - when did it happen?

"It sounds like you are giving favor to Elance freelancers. Since they'll have their history appears here in upwork, they won't have a hard time building their career here. Whilst upwork freelancers who want to try to join Elance has to build career from scratch."

These were my thoughts exactly, thank you!

So, we won't get the option to bridge our Upwork profiles with Elance - we are meant to be 'stuck' in here. 

The heck with it, just do a printscreen from your profile pages at oDesk and include it over there on Elance in some way. That does not need any special functionality. 

As for the new clients coming from Elance, they are more than welcome. I have heard they really like quality work and pay nicely for it (unlike many clients there).

"It sounds like you are giving favor to Elance freelancers. Since they'll have their history appears here in upwork, they won't have a hard time building their career here. Whilst upwork freelancers who want to try to join Elance has to build career from scratch."

Oh really?  What part isn't being understood here?  Their intent is to shut Elance down, they will eventually force all of those on Elance to move to Upwork or find other outlets for online work, so WHY would Upwork freelancers want to join Elance?  Are they shutting Upwork down and forcing you to move to Elance?  NO!

They're also telling folks on Elance to wait for an email inviting them to make the move to Upwork, yet they're inviting clients to move now.  So Upwork is getting the advantage of Elance clients without the annoyance of the Elance Contractors that have been providing services for them.  Fresh clients without the competition, sounds like existing Upwork users have the advantage there...

Besides, their whole "bridge" idea isn't working too well and they're now telling us to duplicate our profile from Elance on Upwork.  You can read that to mean the feedback and reputation built on Elance will soon disappear as they hope we'll simply make the transition to Upwork and establish a new reputation and apologize that their plan didn't work as intended.

Hi Darin,

We have been inviting both Elance clients and freelancers to duplicate their Elance profiles on Upwork and transfer their work histories. It just a gradual process and is happening in stages.

~ Valeria
Upwork

If you are giving these facilities to Elance users then why don't you allow the Upwork Users to join Elance too? 

Its not fair with Upwork Users.

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"

Guys, Elance is dead. It's only being kept on life support long enough to satisfy contractual obligations and get its business over here.

Elance's not pinin'! It's passed on! This platform is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its coders! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If the lawyers hadn't frozen it in place, it'd be pushing up the daisies! Its marketing processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off its mortal coil, rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PLATFORM!!

Best,

MIchael

Are you sure? Like really, really sure? smiley

hitleaks

Simple Reply:

Because both companies are under the same command and control. They are urging peoples to join Upwork.

Asif Rehman
lanwanman

I wouldn't trust Elance-Upwork to properly and effectively transfer anything from Elance to Upwork.

In my case, I had accounts on both Elance and Upwork. After receiving basically the same information from Elance, I simply closed my Elance account; not that Elance was any good for me in the first place since it was just to hard to get established on that platform while it was much easier to become very well-established on the old oDesk platform -- circa 2013 and earlier.

Ron aka LanWanMan

Hi Ronald,

Hm...

This is something very interesting - i.e. regarding Elance.

I'm there almost 2 years now - nearly the same time as here.  Sent I don't know how many applications. But, only last week I've got a job there. However, they say that statistically on average it takes about 30 - 40 applications untill one will get a job. While here, on Upwork got first job in I thing 2 months or so with a very great client.

Interesting indeed...

-------------------------

I also would not recommend to merge profiles. 

photogrossman

Hello,

"Ellance" and "UpWork" are one and the same company, from this year or last year, but for the moment they are  different site each one with there feedback's, etc.

A good day!

It's all about walking that extra mile when everyone else has abandoned the race.
rdzianach

Hello Everyone,

I've copied the account using the copy link from the advert email and actually now I cannot find jobs history for the jobs where I was hiring. Are you observing the same problem?

Best regards,

Rafał Dzianach

Hi Rafał,

I have just checked the account that you used to post this message and it doesn't look like it has been copied from Elance. Do you use the same email address for your Elance and Upwork accounts?

~ Valeria
Upwork

I was with Elance 15 years and loved it. I was invited to copy my profile to Upwork, that part worked fine. I find this system lacking many features that made Elance great. Many things don't work and the site goes down often. It is tough to navigate and the clients find it tough on them also. However there is one thing I can't complain about, I have taken several jobs from great clients in the last month so business is good even though it is tough to get through all the road blocks of the site. Does the Upwork management have any interest in getting this site up and running? The toughest part is getting traffic and it looks like they have handled that hurdle.

Perhaps they should form a committee of service providers that use the site daily to point out the shortcomings of the site and how to improve it so it can become a good platform 'cause I sure have a list! I would like to stick it out on Upwork because I see that money can be made but the problems need to be identified and fixed as soon as possible.

Hey, UpWork! Are ya listening?

Hi Dan,

We have been getting a lot of suggestions and feedback from the Community about Elance features that could be implemented on Upwork. We are closely listening to these suggestions and sharing them with the team. Some Elance features such as connects, memberships and Escrow protection have already been implemented on Upwork and we are going to continue to evaluate user feedback for the benefit of the Community and the marketplace.

I am glad to hear that you have been working with great clients on Upwork lately!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

One genuine and humble suggestion from my end would be that like Elance, you guys allow/provide US$ wire transfers to Pakistan. Moreover, it is not cool to show my earning to anyone online. The sole reason I have not merged/moved my profile is the US$ wire transfer. The conversion rate offered by banks for LFT is terrible. By the way you guys do list it (US$ wire) as a possible withdrawal method as well @ https://support.upwork.com/entries/23153738-Getting-Paid-in-Pakistan.

-Fahad