Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Elance v Upwork - no contest for me, Elance wins by a mile

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
31 of 87

@Olivier P wrote:

I didnt find the information about if Elance will close soon or not ? A limit date is known ?

As of Saturday (1 August), no new members.

As of September, no new contracts.

Sometime "early" 2016: lights out.

Best to all,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
32 of 87

I find the design section is not as good as on upworks. There are a lot of  lowballers. Sorry, but elance wins when it comes to that. I have had many 500-1000 and 1000-5000 jobs on elance, and even fortune 500 companies. I haven't seen that here yet, but I really never used Odesk, so I don't know, but so far from the jobs I have scrolled through for the past 3 months, I haven't found much like there is on elance. 

That isn't to say I am not trying here and won't continue to, because I will try no matter what. But I will not accept a low paying gig as I am an experienced designer with 10 years experience and I have lots of talent and will be paid my rates. I have to make a living and it isn't cheap where I live. 

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
33 of 87

@Suzanne N wrote:

I find it funny that Elancer's come over here saying the clients are all low ballers and there aren't any jobs. I have been on Elance and found most of the clients in my field didn't want to pay anything but have found decent clients on Upwork. I also found Upwork much easier to understand and work on then Elance was. 

I found the same thing. I could rarely get the rates I charge here on Elance. I found a few jobs there but find much better paying work here. The thing that I liked about Elance is that you could see the price the freelancer bid for the job. I would usually end up just shaking my head at what some freelancer editors were willing to work for.

Thankfully, Upwork had decent jobs at decent rates. That's not to say there aren't lowballers here because there definitely are but I haven't seen much evidence that Elance has better paying clients; at least not in the editing field.

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
34 of 87

@Suzanne N wrote:

I have been on Elance and found most of the clients in my field didn't want to pay anything but have found decent clients on Upwork. I also found Upwork much easier to understand and work on then Elance was. 

Yeah, my category (graphic design) is / was overpopulated on Elance (as it is on most sites actually) so when I first started actively applying there, about 90% of the jobs I tracked got lowballed and awarded to someone with ridiculously low rates. Took a while to get things going because I refused to go back to the entry-level rates I started at years ago. So lowballing freelancers and clients are everywhere - it's a matter of finding your niche and positioning yourself, no matter where you are.  

As for interface, I really liked the UI of oDesk from about 2-3 years ago, definitely prefered it over Elance. It was pretty intuitive, I was used to it and although some practical features (like Escrow) would've been a nice addition, the platform was actually good and stable. Now though, if we're comparing usability, Elance definitely wins. With all that's changing here I feel like they've forgotten that the end product actually needs to be functional...

But hey, at least we have Proposals now.Robot tongue 

Ace Contributor
Jon M Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
35 of 87

Suzanne as someone who is familiar with a LARGE marketing forum online.

It's a known fact that people who wanted to hire cheap workers went to odesk. People who wanted to pay a little bit more went to Elance (both gave you low paid workers, but Elance was usually more money )

Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
36 of 87

@Rachel O wrote:

1. I have no idea where the client is on Upwork until I view the job (sometime it still doesn't say) and that matters when you're proofreading or editing. I very much prefer to work for those from UK, US, Europe and Australian/NZ and will target jobs from those countries.

You get all necessary information about the client in your job feed, without viewing the job offer.

client_info.png

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 87

Michael,

This is an awesome tip! Thanks for sharing this!

Also, hover over the ratings area, and see even more info about the client...

stars.png

Shane W Member Since: Jul 31, 2015
38 of 87

I'm going to just be blunt here. **edited for Community Guidelines** It is missing about 90% of the features elance provides and its proposed fee structure is ludicrous.  They want more than the federal government gets.  Also, job searching is a joke.  I have to make a manual search for each keyword and then save that search to see jobs.  Really?  I'll ask again, really?  What is the purpose of categories if it isnt going to be used to provide suggested jobs??

Which brings me to an even more important point.  I see multiple jobs requiring a Masters Degree and then says not to bid if your fee is more than $6/hour.  I see tons of jobs needing expert level experience and 200 people bidding $3/hour.  This is obviously an Indian Ocean party and everyone else is going to suffer.  Don't believe me?  Look under Groups>Country Groups.  Where is the US?  UK? Australia?  Not there.  If you can't live on $200/month you are probably going to be out of work here.

I've only recently decided to make freelancing my full time job and now I am slapped in the face with this horrible situation.  I'm not sure what the future holds now.

How many English speakers are having the same fears and concerns?

Natalya P Member Since: Jun 3, 2015
39 of 87

Dropping all other concerns, I'd say Elance has much better site interface. It's kind of friendlier and allows you to learn. One can see who got hired for that job you really wanted and for what money (I don't know why that information should be hidden, for me it allows to learn a ton about what the clients really expect and are willing to spend).

I see lots of messages about freelancers offering rates that are too low and that being a very bad thing for everyone every time I peek into this forum. Well, that Elance feature is one thing that could really help with that. Last time I checked, freelance sites were global communities and not limited to the U.S. realities. And the thing is, reality varies by country. New freelancers come to here and post rates (at least I did and I'm assuming I'm not the only one who follows this logic) that are regular for their occupation in their locale, +/- a few dollars. Then we learn that the standard is somewhat different - higher, for example. And visibility of clients, completed jobs, jobs awarded and rates makes that so much easier and faster! The more information is available to the freelancers, the faster they'll stop being the stinky lowballers and learn to use the system correctly.

Which brings me to another point, similar to the first - the amount of information available for a potential client and past feedback on Elance and Upwork is oh so differnt. Again, I see many posts on the forum telling newbies to learn their way through the system so they'll get those initial jobs and build a reputation. If there's scarce information available... what are they to learn from?

I'm doing trial and error, but I honestly do not think that's the best way. Elance's interface just gives me much more tools to analyse what Preston H. talks about in a lot of threads - WHAT THE CLIENT WANTS AND NEEDS. 

Oh, and yeah, allow me to add 2 cents to everyone saying that the website has way too many glitches - out of all I'm using right now, Upwork is the buggiest one, with the weirdest loading problems. Knowing a thing or two about website operations I'd assume such a lightweight design shouldn't take so much to load and produce results to queries....

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
40 of 87

@Natalya P wrote:

....the amount of information available for a potential client and past feedback on Elance and Upwork is oh so differnt....

....allow me to add 2 cents to everyone saying that the website has way too many glitches - out of all I'm using right now, Upwork is the buggiest one, with the weirdest loading problems.

Natalya,

Some veterans here have mentioned hovering over whatever client information shows to get more detail.

As for "buggiest" site, I only know Upwork's problems from what I read in the forum. From personal experience, Elance heads that list.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS