cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elance v Upwork - no contest for me, Elance wins by a mile

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
21 of 87

I don't make enough each week to pay ten bux Fergus. I could pay it yes, but why should I pay that PLUS the ten percent to Upwork? 

I'm new here and haven't established myself to the point where I can scoop up long term contracts that pay the rates I charge my current clients. Trust me, I'm not a lowballer in real life. I had to swallow my pride when I first got here and I'm glad I did. I was warned that things aren't always what they seem when I agreed to work for that rate and the person advising me of that was right but I got the hours I wanted to get me started and now I'm charging a decent rate. 

So because I'm just starting out and I'm not really in the position to pay to play, you're saying  that I shouldn't be on the platform? 

I'm starting to think that it's going to be an exclusive club soon if you and people that think like you have your way! Woman Frustrated

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
22 of 87

I know what you're saying, Mariska, but it's the hobbyists and unqualified amateurs that drive rates down for everyone. When I started on Elance I had no feedback, no work history and no experience as a freelance writer - I'd spent my entire working life as a soldier and military contractor - but in my first week I picked up a bit over $200 worth of work. At that point I upgraded to a paid account and I've had one ever since. At your rate a paid account is half an hour's work a month, and I'd be willing to bet that right now you spend a lot more than that bidding on jobs that get cut out from under you by a lowballer.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
23 of 87

well i guess it depends on your version of unqualified and amateur. Smiley Happy 

I really was a hands on worker for most of my life so that's where the bulk of my work experience is. I didn't really envision me sitting on a computer making any kind of money but I'm trying it out because I can't do physical labor anymore. 

I could be in the government seniors facility before I get that rate if I held out for it. lol. When  I do get a contract where that rate is accepted by the client, and if I don't keel over and hit my head on the coffee table and forget who I am and why am I looking at gibberish on a bright screen, I could certainly be a bit more splashy with my money but for now I'm skint. So before you get Upwork excited at the thought of suctioning even more money from the freelancers' pockets, keep in mind that some of the newcomers need some time to catch up to the big money earners. 

Personally I think it's Upwork that encourages the lowballers and the hobbyists and the amateurs that have no good intentions. Why? The minimum rate. If they set the rate at a liveable rate for everyone that would be much better. Yes, that would drive away some really decent clients who truly need to pay less for a while until they get their business fixed enough to pay a normal wage, and yes, people might get upset that now the currency exchange might put people in foreign countries in a better financial situation than other people in other countries are in but at least it would show that Upwork valued the members of the community. When people are valued and paid well then it's not that much of a burden to pay a monthly fee yaknow? 

Community Guru
24 of 87

I don't do hourly jobs, but I agree; $3 an hour is ridiculous. I'm not fussed about minimum wage laws and stuff, because we're freelancers and employee protection laws are for office drones. Rugged individualists like us don't need them. However what kind of clown seriously expects decent results for that sort of rate? It's like all the people who want a novel for $50. They are delusional. Not misguided; not over-optimistic. Delusional. Platforms like this should be for professional clients who're looking for professional work.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
25 of 87

"Platforms like this should be for professional clients who're looking for professional work."

I don't agree. I say: platforms like this should be for clients looking for professional work. As a provider doing business in the market, I don't expect to work for business customers only. In fact, I wouldn't need a platform like this to enter the B2B market. No, I'm firmly for B2B and B2C. And customers come in all shapes and sizes...

The same with the "entry fee" membership someone has suggested. It's never easy for newcomers to break into a market, so an option for (initial) free participation should always be available.

Community Guru
26 of 87

"I don't agree. I say: platforms like this should be for clients looking for professional work."

Actually yes, you're right; I've had plenty of good jobs from private individuals. I should have said "clients with a  professional attitude".

"an option for (initial) free participation should always be available."

How about time-limiting free membership to, say, three months? If somebody hasn't reached the point of being able to afford $10 per month by then they probably aren't going to make it anyway, and it would thin out those whose enthusiasm for bidding on jobs exceeds their ability to do them.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
27 of 87

I find it funny that Elancer's come over here saying the clients are all low ballers and there aren't any jobs. I have been on Elance and found most of the clients in my field didn't want to pay anything but have found decent clients on Upwork. I also found Upwork much easier to understand and work on then Elance was. 

I did not ever find but one job on Elance when I was part of the platform and found the way that jobs and bids were handled was clunky and awkward. I found work room clunky and awkward.

So I guess it depends on what you get use to. There are quality clients I am sure on both platforms. There are lowballers on both platforms. 

I think it is what you are comfortable with. Yes there are a lot of bugs that need working out. I am one of the biggest complainers of the constant issues.

And for the person that said they thought the JS was the resolution for all, and anything under 4.5 had no skills this is just plain not true. 

There are many good freelancers who have been affected by the JS. The JS depends heavily on private feedback. We have clients who don't understand if they don't give a 9 or a 10 on those private feedback scores that it will lower our score. 

I am sorry but no one is perfect. There are bad fits, unexpected reasons for jobs not working and freelancers are being punished for a client not understanding that a 7 which the client thinks is a good score can lower your JS by 4 points.

Community Guru
28 of 87

"I find it funny that Elancer's come over here saying the clients are all low ballers and there aren't any jobs. I have been on Elance and found most of the clients in my field didn't want to pay anything but have found decent clients on Upwork."

I think it really does depend what field you're in. I've heard good things about Upwork from quite a few people. Just never from any writers, because for writing work it's awful.

Not quite sure how you found the Workroom clunky compared to here, where the same functions are scattered all over the place, but like you said - it's what you're used to. I just wish they'd hurry up and add all the missing features.

Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
29 of 87

I didnt find the information about if Elance will close soon or not ? A limit date is known ?

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
30 of 87

@Olivier P wrote:

I didnt find the information about if Elance will close soon or not ? A limit date is known ?

If their past actions are any indication of the future, then there won't be much notice before flicking the off-switch. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS