Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elance v Upwork - no contest for me, Elance wins by a mile

Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
41 of 87

Michael,

I'm not sure whether the recommendations always reach the recipient. Many are whining, because they'll lose their platform, and I understand this. But many of are also not willing to discover Upwork as they should. When I see the forum in the recent weeks, everyone is telling what they are missing and how Upwork should be improved, but only a few Elancers ask how to use the existing features on Upwork.

I mean, former oDesk freelancers also use this platform, and yes, they complain about a number of bugs, the new message system and a lack of invitations, but how many complain about a lack of work? Of course, sometimes there can be a downswing in earnings, and this is not an exeptional situation, it's business, and it could also happen if you are the owner of a local computer store. In this case you have to go the extra mile.

If some Elancers don't understand, they have to work with this platform as it is, some of them will come in a nightmare, in 30 days from now.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
42 of 87

"only a few Elancers ask how to use the existing features on Upwork"

Probably because there are only a few features.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
43 of 87

@fergus M wrote:

"only a few Elancers ask how to use the existing features on Upwork"

Probably because there are only a few features.

And probably they don't know how to use them. Sometimes it's better to use what you have, than whining about what you miss.

Community Guru
44 of 87

"Sometimes it's better to use what you have, than whining about what you miss."

OK. What do I have here that I can use to generate an invoice my local Finanzamt won't laugh at? Point me to that, and I'll stop complaining about how ridiculous it is that a site supposedly aimed at professionals can't even manage to print a proper bill.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Natalya P Member Since: Jun 3, 2015
45 of 87

Michael,

I am aware of the hovering.

My point was that I see more information and it is better organized on Elance. More convenient. Easier to use for analysis. Just plain more.

A specific example:  I can see to whom the project I applied for was awarded and for what price. This is not available here - not in hover, not in scrolling down, not anywhere I've searched. And the reason I believe this information should be available is outlined in my previous post.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
46 of 87

I created a post about where is the north american groups a while back. i don't think i heard back from anyone. thanks for bringing it up Shane!!! 

edited by me

Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
47 of 87

Fellow Elancers,

For those wondering, "Where have all the good clients gone?" - i.e., those paying $50/hour and up - I'm already seeing signs that they're migrating to other sites.  For more details, expand your searches beyond Upwork.

- Pete

Shane W Member Since: Jul 31, 2015
48 of 87

Thanks Mariska!  I stand by what I said.  My belief is that Upwork bought out elance to get rid of all the pesky english speakers.  Keep it all in the family, right?  The DAY the higher ups knew they were taking over elance, provisions should have been made for us.  We dont even warrant a forum group of our own.

Can someone suggest a good alternative?  

Community Guru
49 of 87

"My belief is that Upwork bought out elance to get rid of all the pesky english speakers."

I don't think so. I think they just don't care about more traditional freelancers much; while we might make a lot more money as individuals, Upwork is set up to collect higher revenue from a lot of small jobs than from a few larger ones. I suspect they're happy enough for higher earners to stick around if we want, but it's no biggie for them if we don't. The direction the site's going in is certainly towards offshoring but I don't believe they actually want to get rid of us; it's more indifference than hostility.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
50 of 87

@Shane W wrote:

....My belief is that Upwork bought out elance....The DAY the higher ups knew they were taking over elance.... 

Shane,

Granted, in any merger or acquisition, both parties will put out a lot of smoke about who ate whom.

Upwork (the company) is using oDesk's tech base, client base, and provider base. It's also imposed a number of Elance policies and practices on oDesk/Upwork, and no oDesk policy or practice (that comes to mind) on Elance. Sure, Elance is shutting down—a number of people have suggested that its code base is beyond repair, and/or its market model unsustainable. The new CEO of Upwork comes from—ta-DAAA!—Elance. My best guess is that this is a shotgun marriage imposed on both companies by the venture capitalist investors who keep the lights on, and who quite likely picked and chose which features would survive, and how much trouble would be expended on moving Elance's assets/inventory (providers) to the new HQ.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS