cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notifications and missing emails

idiosync
Daniil A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
21 of 34

I've been having this issue for three months. The support team assured me several times that the problem is resolved although it never was. I changed email address on file and notifications are arriving to the other one just fine, but I want to use my primary email. Now when I try to revert to it it doesn't receive the email change confirmation message, so I'm stuck with the temp one for now.

278d986a
Mark G Member Since: Nov 7, 2015
22 of 34

I just cancelled a job because it turns out I was only receiving half the email notifications.

I thought the Freelancer I hired was an idiot because he continually failed to get me what I asked for. Then I went to the main site and read the hard emails... I did not get notifications on over half of them! Who knows how many the Freelancer didn't get.

This oversight caused days of confusion and anger. And ultimately a cancelled job. I did not get the work I asked for and the Freelancer did not get paid.

As a business owner, this is inexcusable. Especially since, after reading these posts, the missing notifications problem has been going on for at least a year.

If I cannot trust Upwork to provide complete email notifications, I cannot trust them with my business. Upwork, you're fired.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
23 of 34

@Mark G wrote:

I just cancelled a job because it turns out I was only receiving half the email notifications.

And ultimately a cancelled job. I did not get the work I asked for and the Freelancer did not get paid.

...and your freelancer just lost job success points because you did this. They will be punished because you cancelled or closed the contract.

What a great system.

278d986a
24 of 34

Actually, the Freelancer closed the contract before I could. The anger and frustration was felt on both sides.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 34

Hi Mark,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you had with the email notifications and how it affected your business. I have just sent you a ticket to follow up about this issue. Could you please reply to it with more information so we can better assist you?

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
278d986a
26 of 34

You yourself said this almost a year ago in reply to another post in this thread:

"We will follow up with our Engineering Team and make sure it is looked at and fixed as soon as possible."

You should make this a macro so you don't have to keep typing the same thing year after year.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
27 of 34

Nice that Valeria comes along to help you but who helps the freelancer who is also caught in the mess.

Valeria? What happens to the freelancer.

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
Paul T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
28 of 34

Hi, everyone!

I am the freelancer, that Mark refers to.

Indeed, I got confused during our message exchange, why a share of my questions and comments remains unanswered. Or why Mark keeps asking me the questions that were already answered.

All this lead eventually to mutual complaints and ended in canceling the contract. As a result, Mark didn`t receive the files he needed, I lost my money, my time and my reputation. Besides, Mark was the client, that I already had successful projects with.

Most probably, this case will affect my overall job success score (a question to you, Upwork?)

I am ultimately happy that me, Mark, Upwork and other freelancers finally realized the problem does exist, but...the mincemeat is impossible to mince back, right?

I checked my email notifications from Upwork – in fact, there quite a few emails from my other clients are missing as well. So, here is the conclusion – if you want to be sure that you and your client completely follow the lines of your conversation, use the site messenger or app. Though there were a few cases when the messenger didn`t mark incoming new messages as “new”...

Regards,

Pavel

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
Paul T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
29 of 34
I still hope to see the answer/comments from Upwork representative, related to this issue.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 34

Hi Pavel,

I have informed the team about the situation that Mark and you shared and they are investigating the missing message notifications. I would really appreciate if you could share with me in a private message (by clicking on my name here in the forums) the link to the room and copies of exact messages that you didn't get notifications for.

Thank you very much for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS