🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Email request
Page options
thewas
Community Member

Email request

Can I share my email if it is for use with DocuSign such that we can enter a contract, for the job, electronically? Please help, I am new to the platform and I have tried reading through the help list though none talks about this specific question. Please mind attachment for client's request

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Innocent,

If prior to starting a contract a legal document must be shared that includes contact information (such as NDAs), this will be permitted. In these cases, please be sure to ask the client to only contact you through Upwork until a contract is started. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
colettelewis
Community Member

Innocent O wrote:

Can I share my email if it is for use with DocuSign such that we can enter a contract, for the job, electronically? Please help, I am new to the platform and I have tried reading through the help list though none talks about this specific question. Please mind attachment for client's request

No it is no longer  allowed to give any contact information until you have an Upwork contract in place, agreed by you and your client.  I don't know what else your client wants you to sign, but I would be very careful. An Upwork contract should be quite sufficient. You must also make it absolutely clear to your client that you can only be paid via Upwork. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Innocent,

All conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
thewas
Community Member

The client posted along with the job request that he needs a number of contracts signed first to ensure all work belongs to them and I remain a ghostwriter, what would the best way forward be, in that case?

Hi Innocent,

If prior to starting a contract a legal document must be shared that includes contact information (such as NDAs), this will be permitted. In these cases, please be sure to ask the client to only contact you through Upwork until a contract is started. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
thewas
Community Member

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Innocent O wrote:

Innocent O wrote:

I would still be careful what you sign. Your Upwork contract states that you sign over your work to your client. You shouldn't have to sign anything on top of that. Do not sign  anything that ties you to the client for work you might choose to write independently. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members