cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embezzlement?

93b4bb91
Boyd M Member Since: Jun 10, 2018
1 of 4

MY freelancer looks like she has embezzled me for about $5,000. I terminated her when I discovered that she was submitting invoices for $480/week but no accounting for what she did. I also gave her $100 cash advance a few months ago. What is my recourse?

Does Upwork report crime to the Philippine Police, or should I file a written complaint?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

@Boyd M wrote:

MY freelancer looks like she has embezzled me for about $5,000. I terminated her when I discovered that she was submitting invoices for $480/week but no accounting for what she did. I also gave her $100 cash advance a few months ago. What is my recourse?

Does Upwork report crime to the Philippine Police, or should I file a written complaint?

If you hired a freelancer on an hourly contract then you agreed to pay for all hours worked up to the weekly limit, and / or whatever weekly salary you set up.

Did you not check the work diary every week when you were sent the reminders to do so? It sounds like the equivalent of employing someone in a brick and mortar business, and then forgetting about them for coming up for 3 months before remembering that they exist (and draw a salary)

What does your freelancer say about all this?

You can dispute a maximum of the last 30 days, what do the freelancer's work diaries look like?

To be honest, at first glance I see no "crime" (as you call it) as such here. You hired someone on a contract... Surely at some point during those 10 weeks you took a look at what's going on with the person you hired?

Do contact Upwork Support, but practically and realistically it will be quite difficult to get back funds that have already been withdrawn (if they have been withdrawn, which I would guess to be the case.)

Beyond suspending the freelancer's account there won't be much Upwork can do if the money has been withdrawn.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Where did you hear about the word "embezzlement?"

Because that word has no connection to any of what you are describing.

We don't doubt that you have felt pain and disappointment by what has happened.

We CAN help you, in many ways. Not the least of which is by providing advice, context and understanding.

But just describe what happened. Categorizing something as "embezzlement" which isn't only confuses things.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

re: "Does Upwork report crime to the Philippine Police?"

No.

re: "should I file a written complaint?"

You can create a ticket with Upwork Customer Support.

Or you can come here to the Forum and discuss your situation.

Or you can do both.

In your case, the most valuable use of your time and effort will be simply discussing your situation here. It looks like your main issue is a lack of understanding about how the client-side user interface works, and an incomplete understanding of what your options are.

We can answer questions and provide suggestions.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS