🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Emoji in cover letter
Page options
9126389d
Community Member

Emoji in cover letter

Hi,

Can I add a smiley or any other emojis to the cover letter?

13 REPLIES 13
alysegoody
Community Member

Yes 

prestonhunter
Community Member

I actually think that emojis have become increasingly popular among other segments of the population.

I wouldn't use an emoji in a cover letter, but I think most prospective clients would probably not care much one way or another. Some might think that it makes you look silly. I'm sure it would depend on the individual client and also the job niche.

You can, but I wouldn't personally.

I might just be behind the times but you can be sure a lot of clients are also.

I have to say, after posting a job and seeing one proposal in particular, they can be well applied. This guy used the following:

:white_heavy_check_mark:, :telephone_receiver: (linking to calendly to set up a call), :right_arrow:, :star:️ (copied some of thier reviews)

Made his proposal stand out quite well, and I think I'll try doing that myself.

Innes, is this how emoji shows up for client? as a text?.. i also think professional emojies like memo or phone are appropriate

No, I copied and pasted them in and they looked okay in the comment editor but changed after I posted.

I've just got a screenshot of it now.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This is something I hadn't considered because I work in an area that can sometimes be on the conservative side. It's interesting that using it as a way to stand out might be an advantage in certain industries. If you're trying to get work, the issue might be trying to gauge the type of company you're sending a proposal to.

Innes F wrote:

:telephone_receiver:(linking to calendly to set up a call), 

You aren't allowed to link to Calendly or give out any contact information before you have a contract in place, so there's no reason to use a phone emoji in your proposals.

😬 I hadn't been aware of that, might not be a rule that's strictly enforced atm. I was under the impression it was only making payments outside the platform which was a no-no.

edit ~ looking at this help article, it doesn't seem like a priority. I see it would come under this part of the user agreement.

Innes F wrote:

😬 I hadn't been aware of that, might not be a rule that's strictly enforced atm. I was under the impression it was only making payments outside the platform which was a no-no.

No. It's the whole communication thing before you have a contract.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 4.00.39 PM.png

Preston please would you remove both **Edited for Community Guidelines** from your post. They are both highly

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

renata101
Community Member

Mohammed Salman P wrote:

Hi,

Can I add a smiley or any other emojis to the cover letter?

Hi Mohammed,

I would avoid putting emojis in a cover letter. You want to appear friendly, but you don't want to be too casual.

For me, a good rule is to never assume a level of informality or casualness with someone I don't know. For instance, I can wear shorts and a T-shirt (casual dress) if I'm meeting with my friend for coffee, but I wouldn't necessarily wear them to a meeting with a new client because I don't know how the person I'll be talking judges those kinds of things (unless I'm being asked to meet someone at the Googleplex for a game of tennis). Of course, once you've established a relationship with a client and they know your work is high quality, it doesn't really matter what you wear to get it done. 

It may also depend how specialized your skills are. If there's a lot of competition in your field, it's generally better to stay professional in your cover letters.  However, if you are one of only five experts in your field and you're in constant demand, you can probably use all the emojis you like.

81f2681a
Community Member

As an artist, I think using emojis is so cool! Of course, if used correctly and coherent to the context of conversation. I don´t know how other clients or companies reacts to emojis used in work conversations, but for me, in my studio, if some artist aply to work to my agency, I would think its cool using some emojis, artists must prove they knows how to use images (emojis is images) to comunicate.

Well, I´m an artist, my job is drawing and deal with images all the time. But for others, lets say, the writers, I don´t know if they likes emojis inside their texts, their jobs is dealing with words, not images like me.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members