cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer are not able to see my applications

Kundan S Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
1 of 8

Hello All, Odesk put my account under review and asked me to complete current jobs and then they will review my account. I completed all jobs successfully and odesk resumed my account and little relief.

After few days i noticed that i am not getting any reply. I visited job and saw my name was not there in the list and finally i noticed that odesk is not displaying my jobs to any employer. I approached support and they are just saying "your application is not as strong and may be listed below those with stronger histories, or hidden." I checked other candidates in same job and they have around 3.20 feedback and someone do not have feedback and not related work completed and I have 4.75 feedback with 2153 hours and completed 32 jobs and they are saying my profile is not according to job.

It’s really frustrating and odesk not giving any answer. My account is resumed and if my job application will not display to employer then it’s like suspended account. What I will do with my profile if I am not getting hired.

Regards,

Kundan

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 8

Hi KS! While we await replies from official oDesk Community Moderators / Managers, I offer the following in reply to your post.

From my perspective as a freelancer here on oDesk, I just completed a half hour cursory review of your oDesk profile, the profile you are associated with on oDesk (RS), and even the RS website. Overall, things do not look too bad; however, far from what I believe top ranking clients here on oDesk might be searching for.

Freelancer Profile Review

Positive Issues:

• 32 Jobs
  • 2153 Hours Worked
  • 4.75 Overall Rating
  • 1 Job in Progress (Since June 2013 ?)
  • Reasonable hourly rate for country of origin
  • Sign-up date with oDesk no longer on profiles

Note: The sign-up date would be nice to know when reviewing freelancer profiles.

Negative Issues:

• 3 The freelancer has made this comment private
  • 4 No feedback given
  • 7 Rating with NO feedback
  • Low job ratings: 1.00, 2.10, 3.00, and 3.30

Observations:

• Listed all tests ranging from 10 percent to below average
  • No photo
  • No "Employment History" listed
  • No "Education" listed
  • No "Certifications" listed

Note: I do not believe listing tests with lower scores is in the best interest of the freelancer.

Conclusions and Commentary:

Although I do not have access to the client ratings given freelancers anonymously when jobs are ended, the Negative Issues and Observations listed above appear to be enough, collectively to explain why this freelancer's applications are being handled by the oDesk "mad robots" in a manner that does NOT favor the freelancer.

With over 5 years experience as both a freelancer and client here on oDesk, 12 years experience as a successful independent contractor outside of oDesk, and decades of experience in the "corporate" world at the mid-management thru executive level, my professional opinion is that the freelancer is not the best choice for hire.

It is worth mentioning that the Overview and especially the Portfolio in the freelancer's profile are "impressive"; maybe overly impressive.

Furthermore, the information in the Overview, the exemplary, albeit unverified work shown in the Portfolio (Even the structure of the Portfolio itself is outstanding -- well-prepared), and the Tests taken are not supported by listings describing any Employment History, Education, and Certifications; or how the freelancer attained what seems like a very diverse, technical background.

Note: Regarding verification of work appearing in oDesk freelancer portfolios, see *New* Portfolio Contract Linking http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/New-Portfolio-Contract-Linking/m-p/5051#M1874

As far as applicants with seemly less qualifications and poor history on oDesk, it appears that the oDesk "mad robots" might have missed a few. Unfortunately, I still believe the oDesk "mad robots" often miss some of the best freelancers and place them in the "hidden" folder or block their applications altogether.

Regarding my ability to review applicants, I have been asked on occasion to perform technical recruiting activities primarily dealing with pre-screening of applicants. It is relatively easy to spot those where further questioning of credentials and referrals are warranted.

Off-topic (Candidate post for the Community Idea Exchange feature): Maybe oDesk needs to start a "Peer Review" Beta Progam whereby oDesk selected freelancers and oDesk selected clients perform peer reviews of both freelancers and clients selected by oDesk management for Peer Reviews. Freelancers would review both freelancers and clients; likewise, Clients would review both cients and freelancers.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

It doesn't sound as if your account is out from under review.

I think even if your name is auto-hidden, it should show up in the applicants list on a job posting.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it sounds like your account may still not be set correctly so that any candidates can see it. You may need to contact support again, explain to them that your account was supposedly taken off of "on review" setting, but that your applications are still not being submitted.

Community Guru
4 of 8

Maybe this is what is happening behind the scenes (and I invite somebody who knows better to correct me if I'm wrong):

A contractor's setting is either:

a) normal

b) under review

If (under review), contractor can send job applications, but job applications are all automatically blocked from reaching clients.

If contractor's account is NOT under review, 3 things can happen:

a) contractor's job application reaches client normally; contractor's application shows up in regular applicant list that client sees on his job recruitment interface; contractor's name shows up in list of applicants on job posting

b) contractor's job application and profile are algorithmically adjudicated as a poor match, and the application shows up in "hidden" list which client can click on; job applicant's name shows up in applicant's list on job posting.

c) contractor's job application and profile are algorithmically adjudicated as so poor that they are automatically blocked from being sent to client; application appears on neither the client's "hidden" list nor the applicant list shown on the job posting. Such behavior is indistinguishable from what would happen if account was under review.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 8

Kudos PH!

I am looking forward to a reply from an oDesk Communty Manager regarding your theories surrounding job applications. Especially your comment about "Contractor can send job applications, but job applications are all automatically blocked from reaching clients" ?!?! So much for tranparency as it relates to system processes.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
6 of 8

Re: "Contractor can send job applications, but job applications are all automatically blocked from reaching clients"

Ron, that part's not a theory. That's exactly what oDesk Help tells you when you're account is under review. This is what has happened to me personally when my account is under review, and it has happened to dozens of people who have posted in the forum.

I think it's mentioned right in the document customer support refers people to if they are contacted by wondering contractors with zero responses.

Look here: here

It is phrased in such a way that, to the uninitiated, it sounds as if your ability to hit the submit button is blocked. No, what it means is that your job applications are completely blocked from reaching the client in any way, but there is absolutely no notification to you that this is what has happened. Some oDesk representatives have been pretty open about this in their posts in this forum, if I recall correctly.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
7 of 8

In the support article, it is interesting to see that even after we complete our pending jobs and wait for 2 weeks, it is upto us to send an email to odesk to initiate the review. This makes no sense since for most cases, notifications are not even sent to inform you that you are under review. Neither are there any reminders(Not sure about reminder notifications).

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
8 of 8

Quote: "your application is not as strong and may be listed below those with stronger histories, or hidden."

Even if you're hidden, you should still be able to see your name on the list of people that have applied or were invited. I know because I have actually checked this. I wish hidden candidates would just stay under the hidden tab, at least this would be a way of knowing if our application got hidden or not, it's terrible not to know.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS