Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Employer's sudden lack of communication

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
1 of 20

Hello all,

 

I wanted to run a current situation by you that has mystified me a bit, and get everyone's opinion.

 

I have started working with a large and very well known travel website, writing best of list articles. I have written a couple so far, both turned in before deadline and the employer was very happy for the "excellent work". 

 

He assigned me two more at the begining of the month, and the deadline is in three days.

 

The way that the job works is that they assign me, for example a best of list article for, say,10 best neighbourhoods or 10 best restaurants, etc, at which point I research and come up with the addresses, send them a bullet point, and they say yes or suggest changes, and then the article is written and turned in.

 

For the first two articles, everything went perfectly, and my editor responded to the bullet point the same day on and gave me the go ahead to write.

 

The latest mission however (assigned April 1st), has gone differently. My editor assigned two more articles, and an April 19th deadline. I responded within a couple hours, giving my 10 best addresses, and since, absolutely no news. As I need their go ahead before doing the work, it's a bit frustrating.

 

I've written three polite messages on the UpWork platform, with no response, and have begun work on the articles, even though I haven't gotten their final go-ahead,hoping there won't be any changes.

 

As the deadline is in three days, I guess I'll just do my best and turn in what I've done.

 

I don't understand why there is such a lack of response. I thought perhaps the editor went on vacation and forgot about having assigned me the job...can't really understand why else there would be this lack of communication on a confirmed contract......

 

Any advice? Thanks for reading!

 

Adrian

eliclaire
Active Member
Elianna W Member Since: Jan 15, 2021
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20

Hello,

There may be a situation where the client is in an emergency or doesn't have contact with Upwork for whatever reason.

Honestly, you're probably doing the best thing. Especially since you have gone through their system of approving the bullet points before, you have a clearer idea of what your client expects. Worst case scenario they don't like a bullet point or two, you can always do a revision. You offer good work and they are returning clients, so they likely won't cancel the contract or give you a poor review, even if you need to make a couple changes.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 20

There is nothing at all interesting about a sudden lack of communication on the part of a client.

 

It's NOT MY PROJECT.

 

It is the client's project.

 

So if I have followed the clients instructions and done the tasks I was assigned to do and let the client know that I have done those tasks...

 

Then that's it.

If the client doesn't respond, that's fine.

If the client wants to take a break, that's fine.

 

A client may reply to my message within a few seconds after I send them an update.

A client may not reply for two or three months.

Their project. Their choice.

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
4 of 20

Understood. However the project is due in two days, and I still do not, following their guidelines, have the final accord, and have been obliged to do work which, perhaps, will have to be rewritten because of this lack of contact. 

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
5 of 20

Preston H wrote:

 

So if I have followed the clients instructions and done the tasks I was assigned to do and let the client know that I have done those tasks...

 


It's not so simple in Adrian's case because he apparently has conflicting instructions: (1) Don't write the article until the list has been approved; (2) Do write the article by the deadline. If the list is not approved before the deadline,  these two instructions are in conflict (unless Adrian is a time-traveller),

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
6 of 20

Exactly! So, as I don't know why the client hasn't been communicative (perhaps vacation and he went "offline" or sickness, family problems, etc) , I'll do my best and just turn in the work with a message saying I'll be happy to modify if need be. In any event, they were super happy with previous work and always approved my bulletpoints. No biggie, just a little worrying. Thanks for the advice!

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 20

Richard W wrote:

Preston H wrote:

 

So if I have followed the clients instructions and done the tasks I was assigned to do and let the client know that I have done those tasks...

 


It's not so simple in Adrian's case because he apparently has conflicting instructions: (1) Don't write the article until the list has been approved; (2) Do write the article by the deadline. If the list is not approved before the deadline,  these two instructions are in conflict (unless Adrian is a time-traveller),


I don't see a conflict here. If (1) is not happening, it cancels out (2). 

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
8 of 20

Yep well my client's boss jumped in today (luckily as it's my deadline) and said his colleague had been sick and he was taking over for the meantime....

ceefaeca
Ace Contributor
Aru B Member Since: Sep 19, 2020
9 of 20

Preston H wrote:

There is nothing at all interesting about a sudden lack of communication on the part of a client.

 

It's NOT MY PROJECT.

 

It is the client's project.

 

So if I have followed the clients instructions and done the tasks I was assigned to do and let the client know that I have done those tasks...

 

Then that's it.

If the client doesn't respond, that's fine.

If the client wants to take a break, that's fine.

 

A client may reply to my message within a few seconds after I send them an update.

A client may not reply for two or three months.

Their project. Their choice.


I wish all clients also think this way. I recently did everything according to a ReadMe file client gave me and when I made the submission after 2 days he pointed out instantly (maybe without even seeing the work) if I did this "xyz" part which he did not mention it in the ReadMe file? And asked me to correct them and "he won't pay for extra hours", I thought why paying extra should be a concern since it is just 2-3 line code I have to add and run the existing script. So I said okay to him.

 

Soon I realized that what he is expecting me is to download 7 million observations of data through an API (which gonna take days to do!!) and refused to understand, even was not interested in waiting (maybe intentionally as it'd have added too many hours in the sheet!). 

 

The contract ended with my first terribly bad review - which led to the dropping of my JSS yesterday from 94% to 89% (just one bad contract!!!). 

 

I am always fine with the clients who face genuine issues and stop communication, but it is extremely hard to deal with the ones who don't make things clear in the description of "what needs to be done". 

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
10 of 20

Thanks, Elianna. I just found it a bit strange as the client is one of the biggest operators in their market and they were unltra-responsive and professional in ever other instance. I guess I'll just finish up the work and hope they don't ask for a lot of changes. Thanks for chiming in!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS