Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer's sudden lack of communication

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 20

This is why it's a good idea to exchange direct contact info with every new client (once the contract is in place). If/when either party seems to go dark on UW, there is an alternate means of reaching out. Meanwhile, it seems like the client must have had some sort of emergency so I would do what others have suggested: go ahead and submit the article with a note explaining you assume there's been a hiccup and you are doing what you can to help them meet the deadline. Depending on what's happening at their end, they may choose to get spiky about it and not pay for the portion they haven't approved in advance. But they may also be grateful to you for helping them navigate whatever hiccup occurred in their process.

majormoore
Ace Contributor
Adrian M Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
12 of 20

Ah ok, I would never have thought of asking for direct contact... I've accepted when a client has directly proposed to me, but not otherwise as I thought it wasn't looked upon in a positive way... as far as I can see, most clients have adopted the Upwork platform for it to be an "all services" site for all communications to go through...

majormoore
Ace Contributor
13 of 20

..and I never thought communication would be a problem. Guess I was wrong 

majormoore
Ace Contributor
14 of 20

Yep that's what I did, of course. My client's colleague contacted me today (good thing because today is the deadline!) and apologized saying his colleague had been sick and he was taking over for awhile. If this is true or not, I have no idea, but at least I got an answer and will be turning in work to them.

lesleyharrell742
Lesley H Member Since: Apr 16, 2021
15 of 20

maybe this is some kind of check? will you be able to move on and make your own decisions in such situations? some companies practice this, so don't worry and just do your job well!

Lesley - employee monitoring software

majormoore
Ace Contributor
16 of 20

Oh for sure- will do! I was thinking it might be some sort of test, but don't really see how a professional, worldwide company would play around with freelancers just to "test" them. I'll hand in well done work on deadline and see what happens after. If it works out, great! If not, too bad !

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 20

I often advise Upwork users to put themselves in the other person's place, as a way to help them understand the situation better.

If YOU were the client, and if you really had a serious deadline... Then would YOU simply stop communicating with the freelancer whose work you relied on? Or would you make sure you were in contact with him, to make sure you got what you needed? And would you provide him with what he needs to finish the task? Or would you leave him hanging?

When you think about it that way, it can help you understand if the client's behavior is reasonable or not. Because YOU would not act this way if you actually had an important deadline, it can help you realize that the client's "deadline" may not be as important as you believed. It also helps you to understand that if the client needs something done by a certain date, but hasn't provided you with what you need, that you are not responsible for anything that is amiss due to not having that certain something.

So I think your plan - to finish the project as well as you can without the certain something the client needs to provide - is a good plan. If YOU were the client, you would understand that it is your fault that the freelancer didn't have that certain something. YOU are a reasonable person, and YOU would not act in a punitive way toward a freelancer who you failed to provide all necessary input to. YOU would actually feel apologetic toward such a freelancer.

I can NOT guarantee that the client you are dealing with will be 100% professional and reasonable. But this type of thought exercise CAN help you think about what the right thing for you to do is.

majormoore
Ace Contributor
18 of 20

Of course, I've already pondered all this. I'm sure there's a good reason for the delay in comunicating and that we'll continue a good working relationship. I'll let you all know!

majormoore
Ace Contributor
19 of 20

Turns out he was sick and his boss just took over my contracts today. So all good, but things might be slower on their side for awhile.

majormoore
Ace Contributor
20 of 20

As an update, my contact's boss sent me a message today (deadline day funnily enough), saying that his colleague was sick and that he was taking over, but that things might take a bit of time. I thanked him and said yes I was confused by the lack of response and thank you and hope he gets better and that we can continue to work together. Voila.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS