cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer still looking

slawrance
Stephanie L Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
1 of 5

Farily new to Upwork.  How do you know if an employer is still looking for a freelancer?  Some of the job posts are pretty old and it seems like the job is still open??

Thanks

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

You really don't know.  They may have hired from somewhere else or used somebody within their own organization or kept the job open because they aren't sure about the person they hired.  My advice is that once you've sent your proposal, forget about it and keep on looking.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 5

Unless a client closes a job once they find a contractor, you don't really know. One thing you can do is to open up the job and see on the very bottom if anyone has been hired. At times, clients hire contractors but leave their job open for whatever reason.

Right now, I have 13 "open" jobs, (no one hired) All with a number of contractors being interviews (anywhere from 1 to 9 being interviewd) 2 over 1 month old and 1 over 3 months old.

Once you submit your proposal, then you forgot about it and continue submitting proposals to other jobs.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 5

I completely agree with the other replies in this thread that say, essentially, "keep searching".

However, unlike some members, I actually check the activity on my active proposals. If the client hasn't interacted with the job for 30 days, I withdraw my proposal.

These withdrawn proposals don't just "disappear". They will show up in your proposal ARCHIVE tab. I've actually gotten jobs from clients whose jobs I bid on, only to withdraw and archive, because the client got busy. If I have archived jobs that were REALLY interesting, I load them up every few months and check to see what jobs the client has active.

Sometimes those clients have posted a new job with the same requirements, and they are activally interviewing. I've gotten 2 jobs this way, because I submitted a new bid for the job, and the client contacted me.

Having said this, your milage may vary. I'm very very picky about jobs, and there are not a LOT of jobs on Upwork that I want to bid on. Having said this, there are lots clients who MIGHT offer the sort of job I want, so checking in with them via my proposal Archives has been useful.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 5

One more thing that I find particularly useful.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.38.35 PM.png

If I see that the client is actively checking the job listing, then I take it to mean that they have not found the right candidate as yet. So that is when I would apply. However some times its just a spam post, but most times I land the job that way.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS