🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Employer wanted interview on Skype, would...
Page options
gahist123
Community Member

Employer wanted interview on Skype, wouldn't hire on Upwork

I am new to Upwork.  I have submitted about ten proposals over two weeks, and finally received a message from one.  The person asked that I go to a link, which contained instructions to be interviewed on Skype.  I went to Skype, and an interview with a person of a different name was conducted.  When he said I was going to be hired, I asked "Shouldn't this be on Upwork?"  No reply.  I blocked him from contacting me again on Skype, copied all of the chat, the message, and the posting from Upwork.  Now, I can't figure out what to do with the info.  Does Upwork care?

8 REPLIES 8
robin_hyman
Community Member

Clyde David T wrote:

I am new to Upwork.  I have submitted about ten proposals over two weeks, and finally received a message from one.  The person asked that I go to a link, which contained instructions to be interviewed on Skype.  I went to Skype, and an interview with a person of a different name was conducted.  When he said I was going to be hired, I asked "Shouldn't this be on Upwork?"  No reply.  I blocked him from contacting me again on Skype, copied all of the chat, the message, and the posting from Upwork.  Now, I can't figure out what to do with the info.  Does Upwork care?

Hi Clyde,

Welcome to Upwork!  Interviewing off the platform is not a violation.  Being paid off the platform is.  The no reply is not confirmation that the client wanted to pay you off Upwork.  If you wanted to, you can flag the job post which alerts the Upwork team. 

And to answer your question, yes Upwork cares if the client is not abiding by the rules.  Unfortunately the client didn't do anything wrong exactly.  

As a freelancer you can choose who to work with.  Good luck!

re: "Does Upwork care?"

I think that this client may be dishonest. But maybe not. You blocked him. We don't know what he would have said next.

I do not think that he violated any Upwork rules.

I suggest that you this go. There is nothing further for you to do.

If you want to report the client, you may do so using the "Flag as inappropriate" button.

If it was me, I would not do anything else.

I have actually had many clients ask if they could pay me directly. I simply decline, and work through Upwork.

My experience has been that clients who use Skype are serious clients, who will follow Upwork rules. Google Hangouts interviewers... on the other hand... are scammers.

Thanks Preston.

This morning I have an email from Upwork that says that this job was removed because it didn't follow the terms of service.  

I have a similar situation. I received my first response to a proposal. We were chatting on Hangouts and he indicated that I would be working within Upwork and also outside of Upwork. I haven't accepted, but is this ok?

Monica W wrote:

I have a similar situation. I received my first response to a proposal. We were chatting on Hangouts and he indicated that I would be working within Upwork and also outside of Upwork. I haven't accepted, but is this ok?

All new freelancers should be aware of clients who want to communite via Hangouts.  It is a known scam.  They ask for your bank account/mailing address indicating they will mail you a check.  Instead they steal your money.

Do not accept a job where you will be PAID outside of Upwork.  It is against Upwork policy and you will be suspended.  If this is a fixed-price job, submit via Upwork's submission tool.  If the milestone has been funded, you will be paid in 14 days - even if the client disappears.  

Please ask questions!

Thank you for your quick response! This particular person has indicated he is going to pay me within the Upwork platform. However, I looked and see that he has cancelled the job posting and my connects were refunded me. It would seem to me that there's no way for him to pay me through Upwork if there's no active listing for a job. Am I correct?

Monica W wrote:

Thank you for your quick response! This particular person has indicated he is going to pay me within the Upwork platform. However, I looked and see that he has cancelled the job posting and my connects were refunded me. It would seem to me that there's no way for him to pay me through Upwork if there's no active listing for a job. Am I correct?

No. A client can hire you directly without posting a job.

Keep in mind that you only start working once you have been hired by accepting an offer that you received from a client. 

Hi Monica,

Thank you for flagging this to us. I checked the job you are referring to and it has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths