cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encounter with a bad client (dealing with racism, narcissism, and superiority complex)

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
21 of 24

Dianne, 'We' are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience here on.... -- just kidding.... Actually, I admire and appreciate your participation and helping others here in the Community Forum.

In the past I have commented about the lack of "quality" clients here on oDesk these days, and about the difficulty involved when trying to find good jobs and good clients--especially on this currently, client-centric site.

It sounds like the client in question is bordering on Internet stalking [cyberstalking] behavior; definitely, harassing behavior. There's just too much game playing on the part of some clients and freelancers here on this site these days.

No worries, someday clients like that will run into a savvy freelancer that will effectively deal with any unwarranted activities. oDesk support is a great source of help for dealing with such issues Smiley LOL

Ron aka LanWanMan
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
22 of 24

Oh Ron, you made me laugh!

By the way, the client used my article somewhere else (not on his main website). He must think I won't find out. Anyway I shall make sure his website will be taken down just like the other bloke who did the same to me earlier this year. I got his ecommerce site off the internet for a few days (thousands of dollars of sales he can never recover) and made his google rankings suffer by reporting him to the right people. Looks like someone else will suffer the same fate. Tsk tsk tsk,... I guess he needs to learn a lesson as well.

Maybe it was his plan all along to not pay or use the article somewhere else. What I don't get is why he would do it. He paid over 20k via oDesk the past year and have 5 stars rating as a client.

I wonder why some people think they are above the law or that internet laws and rules means nothing. I cannot prove the other website is his so I'm not going to waste my time by reporting him to support but hey, he is the only person who has a copy of my work. 

I assure you that I don't let people take advantage of me eventhough I'm not super savvy Smiley Tongue

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
binzailani3136
Bin Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
23 of 24

Hi. Dianne.

You have posted very interesting article and it contains very serious experiences.

I am new to upwork so don't knows well about the policy and rules.

And also about the clients.

Anyway, your article was great help to me and also very very interesting.

Thanks for such interesting article.

Cheers!

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
24 of 24

You had a very bad experience with a very bad client. Learn from it. There are plenty of jerks in the world, oddly they all seem to find Upwork. Learn to look closely at the jobs presented to you and decline any that sound fishy. Limit your email exchanges with clients that begin to be unreasonable. We stop responding to clients we feel may be trying to take advantage of us, thus not wasting time with them and having more time to work on projects with clients that appreciate hard work and dedication.

Once you get into a despute with someone stop wasting your time responding to them if you see that it is an argument that they will not let you win. You cannot reason with unreasonable people. Cultivate your good, trusted clients for additional work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS