🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » End a contract consequences
Page options
ezzatmostafa
Community Member

End a contract consequences

Hello, I'll arrange with the client to end this contract and propose a new one with the remaning amount are there any consequence for this move? 

contract.PNG

ACCEPTED SOLUTION


Mostafa E wrote:

how it is gonna cost him money? 


Clients pay a fee, Plus, of the client is not in the US, the client also pay exchange rate differences. So the client paid 3% when they funded the milestone, and extra for currency exchange if not in the US. They lose more when the escrow funds go back to them (if they are not in the USA) and then, when they fund a new contract, they pay ANOTHER client fee and lose even more money in the currency exchange process.

 


Mostafa E wrote:

the reason is title 


What?

As a freelancer, you want to make life easy for your clients. You do not want your clients to have to jump through hoops and have expenses by working with you.

I can't think of any legitimate reason for me to expect my client to spend their time and money on some such scheme.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
roberty1y
Community Member

There should be no bad consequences apart from the fact that you'll have to trust the client to pay the amount that's still in escrow at the end of the contract.


Robert Y wrote:

There should be no bad consequences apart from the fact that you'll have to trust the client to pay the amount that's still in escrow at the end of the contract.


It costs the client money. And there will not be any money left in escrow if the OP closes the contract.

Escrow funds can't move from one contract to another.

how it is gonna cost him money? 

the reason is title 


Mostafa E wrote:

how it is gonna cost him money? 


Clients pay a fee, Plus, of the client is not in the US, the client also pay exchange rate differences. So the client paid 3% when they funded the milestone, and extra for currency exchange if not in the US. They lose more when the escrow funds go back to them (if they are not in the USA) and then, when they fund a new contract, they pay ANOTHER client fee and lose even more money in the currency exchange process.

 


Mostafa E wrote:

the reason is title 


What?

As a freelancer, you want to make life easy for your clients. You do not want your clients to have to jump through hoops and have expenses by working with you.

I can't think of any legitimate reason for me to expect my client to spend their time and money on some such scheme.

Thanks I'll not end the contract after knowing this, this's why am i asking before making inproper move and I asked same question last week and they nearly told me it's okay but as long as it costs the client more fees i'll not do it. 

 

Thanks for help 


Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

There should be no bad consequences apart from the fact that you'll have to trust the client to pay the amount that's still in escrow at the end of the contract.


It costs the client money. And there will not be any money left in escrow if the OP closes the contract.

Escrow funds can't move from one contract to another.


If the client can't fund a new milestone with the funds, can't they just take them back?

 

It costs the client money in terms of time used up, but the OP suggests that it's a mutual agreement to close the contract.

I doubt that the client cares about the title of his job. 


Robert Y wrote:


It costs the client money. And there will not be any money left in escrow if the OP closes the contract.

Escrow funds can't move from one contract to another.


If the client can't fund a new milestone with the funds, can't they just take them back?


"Just take them back?" What do you mean?

 

They will only get back the milestone value, minus any losses due to two sets of currency exchange (if outside the US) and they won't get the client fee back. Instead, they'll pay the client fee (and the extra for currency exchange losses if outside the US) again on the newly funded milestone.

 


Robert Y wrote: It costs the client money in terms of time used up

And cold, hard, cash

 


Robert Y wrote: but the OP suggests that it's a mutual agreement to close the contract.

Where did the OP suggest any such thing?


Petra R wrote:

 


Robert Y wrote: but the OP suggests that it's a mutual agreement to close the contract.

Where did the OP suggest any such thing?


That's what I read into it when he wrote, "I'll arrange with the client to end this contract..." It looked to me like he had the client's assent and just wanted to know if Upwork would allow it.


Robert Y wrote:

There should be no bad consequences apart from the fact that you'll have to trust the client to pay the amount that's still in escrow at the end of the contract.


That does not change if it's a new contract or not. If he hasn't sent any work for the new milestone, same difference.

petra_r
Community Member

 

Why would you want to do that? It will cost the client money and time.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

What for? 


Martina P wrote:

What for? 


It looks like he wants a more impressive contract title to impress future potential clients.

At least that's what he mentioned when he last posted.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You asked the same thing last week. Do you really want to put the client through this hassle? I would never do that for a silly thing as a job title. 


Martina P wrote:

You asked the same thing last week. Do you really want to put the client through this hassle? I would never do that for a silly thing as a job title. 


I've never really thought about that. I have some very misleading job titles in my history, but I don't think it matters. I'd be more afraid of a one-star review from a client who says, "He got me to start a new contract just for the sake of a title".

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members