🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » End an hourly contract that has zero dollars ...
Page options
aidangignac
Community Member

End an hourly contract that has zero dollars billed and no time

Hello,

I am considering weighing my options for ending an hourly contract that has no money billed. I had a long-term client at $40 an hour that I got hired on by before becoming top-rated plus. I am now top-rated plus and targeting $70 an hour. My client was willing to go to $50 an hour but the workload is even lower now than before. My point in raising the rate was that they had a little workload for me and to justify continuing working for them, I demanded a rate increase. After agreeing on $50 on a new contract, it has been almost a month and they have no work at all, even less. I do not want to keep a client like this around, I'd rather end the contract and find a 3rd client that meets my expectations and has work.

My main questions are the following:

1. Can I end a contract that has no money billed and no hours without penalty?
  2. Is it best to discuss my opinion with the client or will they pull the wool over my eyes and keep me waiting
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Just close the contract, tell the client it is difficult to get new jobs on Upwork if there are idle contracts on your profile shown as being active and you'll be happy to re-start the contract at his option (whether or not that's true).

If he does decide to re-start the contract at some point, you can decide if you want to begin a new contract and under what terms.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

1 You can close any contract anytime you want.

2 Client able to leave feedback for any closed contract, incl $0. Bad feedback will drop your JSS.

I will have a discussion with them at that point or maybe just keep them around and deprioritize them when they do have a couple of tickets to work on. Thank you for your insight

This is actually not completely true. 

aidangignac_0-1716494387714.png

My message?

You unable to close contract? Able.

Client unable to drop your JSS with private feedback? Able.

What isn't true?

When you closing $0 contract yourself client able to leave feedback but not must. No feedback - no affect. Most of clients wont waste time to leave feedback for 0 contracts. Only if angry.

At screen you posted is a false info. With Toprated perk you can remove whole feedback (pub + priv) or JSS only. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Just close the contract, tell the client it is difficult to get new jobs on Upwork if there are idle contracts on your profile shown as being active and you'll be happy to re-start the contract at his option (whether or not that's true).

If he does decide to re-start the contract at some point, you can decide if you want to begin a new contract and under what terms.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members