Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End contract& Difficult clients

dichoska-emilija
Emilija D Member Since: Jun 30, 2020
1 of 23
Hi,
I have a contract with client about marketing. After delivering he said he found everything very helpful. But day later he wants more and more done within the budget. This will take me 2+ weeks work! I want to end the contract without getting paid, but I am not sure how this will affect me. I am so stressed because I worked so hard and don’t know what to do!! Please help me
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 23

Emilija D wrote:
Hi,
I have a contract with client about marketing. After delivering he said he found everything very helpful. But day later he wants more and more done within the budget. This will take me 2+ weeks work! I want to end the contract without getting paid, but I am not sure how this will affect me. I am so stressed because I worked so hard and don’t know what to do!! Please help me

Why do you want to end the contract without getting paid - how will that help? Submit your work for payment then tell him how much it will cost for any new work that he needs. Then don't do any more work until he funds a new milestone for you.

dichoska-emilija
Emilija D Member Since: Jun 30, 2020
3 of 23
He doesn’t want to pay more. I have submitted my work and he said he is happy and found everything very helpful. After couple of hours he requests more and more and threatens me that if I don’t deliver he will hire another freelancer and leave a bad review.
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 23

Emilija D wrote:
He doesn’t want to pay more. I have submitted my work and he said he is happy and found everything very helpful. After couple of hours he requests more and more and threatens me that if I don’t deliver he will hire another freelancer and leave a bad review.

Tell him how much it will cost, and that you don't work for free, and that's final. He can't force you. And what would happen if you did agree to do two more weeks of free work? How do you know he'll give you a good review then? How do you know he won't demand more free work? 

You can't just make this go away by refunding his money, either. Maybe you don't care if you get paid or not, but Upwork does, and it will count as an unsuccessful contract and hurt your JSS score.

Make sure that you leave him a bad review as well, regardless of what happens, as a warning to the next freelancer that he tries to hire.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 23

Emilija D wrote:

That is called feedback manipulation and is against TOS. Report him - make sure to take screenshots of anything that mentions him threatening bad feedback.

m_paraventi
Maureen P Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
6 of 23

Emilija, I am going through the same thing! I was hired to write a dozen 1500-word articles, and was given only titles and, in some cases, a one-sentence "angle." I've completed four of the articles. The client told me that they were great, but HIS client wants major revisions based on very specific information - information I was not informed needed to be in the articles. This has already taken me a great deal of time. Doing additional research and revisions will result in me making about $2 an hour on this project. (I accepted a low price because I am trying to get established on Upwork.) When I pointed out that revising the articles would lessen my earnings, the client said I could keep track of the revised words (that's not the way revisions work) and add them to the next milestone. (?!?) If the client's client makes the same requests for the remaining eight articles - telling me what they want AFTER I've delivered the articles, in other words - it will take me an enormous amount of time. I want to cut my losses right now and end this contract. What I'm not seeing on Upwork is how to do that.

9b660019
Ace Contributor
Adam A Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
7 of 23

Maureen P wrote:

I was hired to write a dozen 1500-word articles, and was given only titles and, in some cases, a one-sentence "angle." I've completed four of the articles. The client told me that they were great, but HIS client wants major revisions based on very specific information - information I was not informed needed to be in the articles. This has already taken me a great deal of time. Doing additional research and revisions will result in me making about $2 an hour on this project. (I accepted a low price because I am trying to get established on Upwork.) When I pointed out that revising the articles would lessen my earnings, the client said I could keep track of the revised words (that's not the way revisions work) and add them to the next milestone. (?!?)

The advice already given in this thread also applies here.

Be polite and professional, but also firm. You performed and submitted work based on the original parameters. Explain to your client that you are happy to perform the additional work based on the new requirements, but it will require paying this milestone first and then funding a new milestone based on the new requirements.

Some clients know that newer freelancers are more afraid of a bad review and JSS hit than not getting paid and will use that in an attempt to exploit you. The sooner you move past that anxiety and learn to assert yourself professionally, the better you'll do going forward as a freelancer.

m_paraventi
Maureen P Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
8 of 23

This was really helpful, Adam. I've messaged the client in a calm and professional way. Hopefully, this situation will be resolved in a way that's agreeable to both of us.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
9 of 23

Maureen P wrote:

(I accepted a low price because I am trying to get established on Upwork.) 

And this is exactly why you don't take low-paying jobs just to get established. I think you gather that now, but we get a lot of people asking if they should do this. You have the perfect reason why they shouldn't right here. 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
10 of 23

Emilija D wrote:
Hi,

I can only assume this is not hourly because otherwise you would just work and bill.

This is a test.  Not necessarily a deliberate test by the client but more of a situational test in how you will run your business. 

You did good work.  The work is finished.  You should get paid.

Clients wanting more work is a good thing.  And it should not surprise you that many clients want more than what they paid for.  Sometimes they think that the more work they want is in scope and you have to be able to communicate to them, clearly and decisively it is not.  Have you done that?  

You need to find a way to communicate to them that you would be happy to do more work but you would also be happy to get paid for it.  When clients go past the limit of what I think is in scope I always say something like:

I would love to do that, give me a moment to provide you with an estimate.

What may not be clear from the get-go though is before you take work you need at least a basic idea of what is scope and make sure that is understood by both parties.  That makes it a lot easier to say, this phase we did this, and next phase will will do that and you will pay me X for this and Y for that.

My concern is you are avoiding a confrontation and I find that a lot of times when people stand up and face it there isn't one.  The other party doesn't want a confrontation either.  They may just misunderstand what you need and what they are due.

But I maybe wrong but you should definitely get paid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS