Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End contract& Difficult clients

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 23

re: "He doesn’t want to pay more. I have submitted my work and he said he is happy and found everything very helpful. After couple of hours he requests more and more and threatens me that if I don’t deliver he will hire another freelancer and leave a bad review."

Wow. This client sounds like a genuinely bad person.

It is hard to imagine a real human being acting in such an unprofessional, immoral way.

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe the client sincerely does not understand how fixed-price contracts work.

My advice is to give the client the opportunity to do the right thing. Be polite and professional ALWAYS.

Tell the client:

"Darrin,

Thank you for your notes. Yes, I agree with you about the next steps that should be done on the project. The original agreed-upon task has been completed. After you release the escrow payment for that, I will be able to work on that next step. If you have any questions about how fixed-price contracts work, you may ask questions here: community.upwork.com"

Then DO NOT do any further work on the task until a contract or milestone is set up to pay for new work.

If the client sends you any requests or messages of any kind, then tell him the same thing.

Remember: You clicked the Submit Work button, so Upwork will release the money to you automatically after 14 days.

dichoska-emilija
Emilija D Member Since: Jun 30, 2020
12 of 23
I took all the advice!! The client continues to threaten me today. With not paying and now with taking a legal action. Can you please advice me on how to handle this. If we open a dispute on Upwork does both sides have to agree to it? The 250$ payment for mediation is too big for me.
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 23

Emilija D wrote:
I took all the advice!! The client continues to threaten me today. With not paying and now with taking a legal action. Can you please advice me on how to handle this. If we open a dispute on Upwork does both sides have to agree to it? The 250$ payment for mediation is too big for me.

He threatened you with legal action? Over what, exactly? He can't take you to court for refusing to work for free.

Use the "submit work" button as Vladimir says below. If your client wants his money back, he'll have to ask for a refund. Then you can go to mediation, which is free (you're confusing it with arbitration, which would cost $291 for both you AND the client, and from what I hear, whoever blinks first generally loses). 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 23

Hi Emilija,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having on your contract. I see you're communicating with the client and trying to resolve the issue amicably. I'd like to note that I checked and while you've provided the work you completed in Messages, you haven't used the Milestone submission button.

If you can't come to an agreement with the client and completed the work as agreed, feel free to submit the Milestone from the contract page and your client will receive a release request. In case your client refuses to release funds for the completed Milestone you'll have the option to initiate a dispute, in which case our team will follow up with you directly and assist you further. You can find more information in these Help articles: here and here.

Feel free to follow up on this thread if you have any questions.

Untitled
dichoska-emilija
Emilija D Member Since: Jun 30, 2020
15 of 23
I am scared to do that. Also as a uni student the money for arbitration are a lot for me. Can the client seek legal action if I don’t click on summit work? Also for mediation and arbitration does both sides have to agree to start the process or only one?
For only 150$ do pay 291$.... I am genuinely very very anxious and scared. I don’t want to make a mistake.
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
16 of 23

Click the **bleep** button. Legal action costs real money and if your client isn't going to pay you, he's not going to pay to sue you. If you are too scared to get the money, then just close the contract and block the client. You aren't going to save your JSS from whatever this client is going to do to it. Report him, block him, move on with your life. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
17 of 23

Emilija:
I really am sorry that you got into this situation.

But putting aside everything we might say about this particular client and this particular project...

You are ALWAYS supposed to click the button when you finish a task.

That is how fixed-price contracts work.

When I am hired to do a task with a fixed-price contract, I am the expert. I am the person who knows when the task has been completed. I do the work, and then I immediately click the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

I do NOT message the client first. I don't send any additional messages, because that's what the button does: The button sends a message to the client. The button even offers the client the opportunity to request changes if necessary.

Always click the button.

And if the client is a decent person who is using the Upwork system correctly, the client may still have questions or minor requests. That's okay. Typically if a client has a minor request or question, they communicate directly with me, and I take care of things. They don't click any button to formally request changes, which is good. Because that means they haven't stopped the countdown clock. Typically the client, upon seeing that their requested task has been completed to their satisfaction, releases payment manually. But if they don't, then Upwork releases payment automatically.

I know you are dealing with a client who is completely abusing the system. But that doesn't negate the fact that the proper way to use Upwork with fixed-price contracts is to click the button when the task has been completed.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
18 of 23

So... I'm just going put something out there...

It probably won't help the original poster, but this is worth bringing up:

I get it that Upwork has official procedures and policies and needs to do things a certain way because of escrow and such.

But when a client is abusing the system in such horrendous, cruel ways... Upwork should just put an end to it. There is a difference between a sincere dispute and a client who is outright abusive and cruel and is trying to manipulate freelancers into working for free, threatening them with feedback manipulation, threatening a freelancer with legal action, etc.

This is insane that this sort of thing is being tolerated.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 23

Preston H wrote:

I get it that Upwork has official procedures and policies and needs to do things a certain way because of escrow and such.

But when a client is abusing the system in such horrendous, cruel ways... Upwork should just put an end to it. There is a difference between a sincere dispute and a client who is outright abusive and cruel and is trying to manipulate freelancers into working for free, threatening them with feedback manipulation, threatening a freelancer with legal action, etc.

It is beyond insane. I always hope that Upwork will respond with something other than asking a freelancer to try and to come to an agreement with a client who should so obviously be kicked off the site. No apologies for having to put up with the abuse. Why would you think or suggest that a freelancer would want to have anything more to do with clients who act like thugs, Upwork?

Yes, the OP needs to learn how to use the site properly and use "Get Paid" button, but that's not the point. The point is that clients who behave this way should not have to be tolerated. Instead of asking her to communicate with him, why doesn't Upwork step in and set him straight? Upwork has certainly inserted itself into every single aspect of our freelance business, so why not this?

She's not having issues on her contract, she's having issues with an abusive client ... enough already.  The OP should not have to do anything more or communicate any more with this client. But Upwork should.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
20 of 23

Virginia F wrote:

Preston H wrote:

It is beyond insane. I always hope that Upwork will respond with something other than asking a freelancer to try and to come to an agreement with a client who should so obviously be kicked off the site. No apologies for having to put up with the abuse. Why would you think or suggest that a freelancer would want to have anything more to do with clients who act like thugs, Upwork?

Yes, the OP needs to learn how to use the site properly and use "Get Paid" button, but that's not the point. The point is that clients who behave this way should not have to be tolerated. Instead of asking her to communicate with him, why doesn't Upwork step in and set him straight? Upwork has certainly inserted itself into every single aspect of our freelance business, so why not this?

She's not having issues on her contract, she's having issues with an abusive client ... enough already.  The OP should not have to do anything more or communicate any more with this client. But Upwork should.

And because these clients are getting free work, Upwork doesn't make money. So, it does affect their bottom line, so why do they allow it to persist?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS