cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End contract of unresponsive clients

KhauZ Y Member Since: Jan 24, 2017
1 of 11

Hi everyone!

I have a few unresponsive clients (some since 2015). I have done the work we had agreed and I also got paid properly. My question is, How ending a contract like that will affect my Job Score?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 11

Hi KhauZ,

Only a pattern of contract without feedback can affect your Job Success Score. If your clients are not responding to your requests to close your contract, depending on the number of open contracts, you can consider closing a couple of them each week. Make sure you communicate with your clients in a timely manner going forward and ask them to close the contract if they don't have any work for you, once you submit the final deliverable on it.

Also, please upload a profile photo that clearly shows your face in order to bring your profile in line with our profile guidelines.

Iurii Z Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
3 of 11

Greetings community,

My account recently dropped from top rated to 88% success rate. Since my feedback is 100% positive and I have 10% of long-term contracts (my work is mostly project-based which doesn't require much time to be completed) I believe the issue is in inactive contracts.

I have this contracts for two reasons:
1. My client is inactive (isn't responding to messages)
2. My clients asked me to wait with the project. For different reasons, they want to postpone part of the job for later.

So my question is next:
What to do with such profiles? I know I can close them from my side, but it again will affect me in a bad way (at least, because this contracts won't get feedback). So is there any possibility to close those contracts without a negative effect on my profile?
Also, how much time must pass for the contract to be marked as inactive? 3 weeks? More?

Hope you can help me,

Kind regards,
Iurii

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Iurii,

Please check the information I shared with the OP on this thread and note that we can't share the timeline for open contracts becoming inactive.

Regarding the second point from your comment, note that clients can easily rehire you at a later date if they need to delay part of your contract. Feel free to share this Help article with those clients and consider asking them to close your contract if you don't expect to receive more work on them in the near future.

Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
5 of 11

I would like to know what happens to the following:

1. hourly contracts suspended on the ground of issues on the client end and where it is likely the client themselves is suspended or permabanned.

2. idling contracts of either type with clients who have many instances such idling contracts with other freelancers too, indicating their lack of essential business skills and understanding of how Upwork works.

3. hourly contracts which have been paused by the client many months ago where they are hesitant to respond any questions regarding reinstatement or the overall fate of the job. In my exact example, we speak about a client who appears to have paused several contracts with different freelancers citing no reasons and it was last June. 

My JSS is heavily damaged owing to that, and while I don't worry much about the JSS as it is now it is ridiculously low owing mainly to a quick and large collection of dormant contracts, and if I bid more I would have way fewer chances of getting answers, let alone offers, putting me into real danger of performance-based suspensions.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

Feedback from suspended clients is excluded from JSS, and Miroslav, I think it is fair to assume your recent feedback harmed your JSS more than inactive contracts.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 11

@Miroslav M wrote:

My JSS is heavily damaged owing to that, 

Say Miroslav, I had a look at your profile and I second Petra on this. Your contracts without any feedback may not be the only issue. They may actually even indicate another issue.

Save for at least one PITA client, you seem to be pinged on quality and skills on a regular basis. Maybe this is a good time for an honest introspection which may help you understand where you can improve.

We all need to keep and eye on our performance and to stop to think every now and then.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
8 of 11

I am fully aware of the recent job failure, though I have had a few highly rated projects closed recently, so while it is clearly a problem, which is what I also know, there must be a lot up to the idling clients. 

As I said in a previous topic, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and jobs can fail even if both parties invest enough effort in a good outcome.They may be disliking your style of writing or can't express their needs concisely, or both. So it is a risk we all live with. But all until September, I had no idling contracts. Now I have got five, which is certainly a critical number.  Even when I receive good feedback it doesn't make the JSS go up, and when an incompatible or PITA client comes, their effect to the JSS is thus augmented this way. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 11

Miroslav, with all due respect, and much affection, I think you would do well to concentrate on jobs that utilise your native language. I do not see your JSS improve significantly or in any lasting manner if you continue down the path you are on. 

Emmanuel I Member Since: Dec 21, 2018
10 of 11
And when you ask a client to close the contract — telling him how it can affect your JSS score and even sending the message you get from upwork support regarding that — but all your please are met with silence.

And if I may add, this is a client happy with my previous works. About a month ago, he sent me a message telling me how sorry he's for not having time to put together another milestone, because he's busy with something else and promised to send more work.

But seeing my JSS score for the first time @ 88% and upwork telling it's because of the inactive contract, I reached out to him to close it. I'm just a few months on upwork and only had 4 contracts or so, and most of them are ongoing projects.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS