🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: End contract with a client that I haven't...
Page options
ds_soundworks
Community Member

End contract with a client that I haven't done work for in months and keeps creating new offers

Hi guys. So I was hired for a small project last year for the benefit of just adding it to my portfolio, a small paying job and I did not mind. Even though he really was a nice guy, I'm working on more professional projects I just decided to do this one purely for portfolio and didn't mind the low budget as it's also what he posted in his original job post.

This was last year September I think. So I've submitted some work just for review and he was never happy but agreed to stay on board and really help by keep trying. But that's not really the issue, the issue is at one stage the contract was left open for months even until it expired and he then hired me again. I did a bit of work, then just haven't heard from again and the contract disappeared and he hired me again. Now while I know I shouldn't of accepted again but I did and we are now a month or two without communication again and no work done and it's purely just a waste and I want to end the contract, but as a freelancer I'm worried that he will give me bad feedback for just ending it even if I had to be professional and explain to him why I can't work on it anymore. Freelancers naturally have that fear on upwork sometimes and I can't shake it. Am I able to end the contract without getting feedback from him? What's the process here? I do not wish to discuss with him in case he convinces me otherwise OR gets petty and leaves me a bad review.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
varungs
Community Member

Send him a message asking for more information or requesting him to end the contract. If he doesn't reply in a few days, end the contract. He will be able to leave feedback for 14 days. If he remains offline for 14 days, the contract will appear with "No feedback given" on your profile.

Hi! Thanks for your response.

Thing is he is active on upwork and online most days. And I've told him
many times just message me when you have something for me to do and he just
says he's busy. If I ask him to end it or if I end it now, there's a big
chance we will end up talking and possibly go the route that I'm trying to
avoid.

Hourly or fixed rate contract(s)?

Have you earned any money under those contracts?

Fixed fee. I have not earned any money from it, he's only put like 5$ in
escrow. The first time it expired and terminated was because it had nothing
in escrow so I told him to do that. We agreed that I would get paid end of
the contract which is something I was also fine with

Daniel S wrote:
Fixed fee. I have not earned any money from it, he's only put like 5$ in
escrow. The first time it expired and terminated was because it had nothing
in escrow so I told him to do that. We agreed that I would get paid end of
the contract which is something I was also fine with

A contract closing with nothing paid (ever) hurts your JSS, so you should never "be ok" with that.....

The first time it did not expire and terminate because there was nothing in Escrow. It would never have been able to start if there had been nothing in Escrow. A Contract with money in Escrow is automatically cancelled after 90 days with nothing paid. If something has been paid under a contract, it can stay open for the rest of time with no issues. 

You said you worked on the contract, so I'd suggest you request those 5 Dollars in Escro to avoid another "Nothing paid" contract hurting your already sub-optimal JSS further before the 90 days are up.

I don't understand. If you did one project for this client and he didn't like your work and never paid you, then why on earth would you agree to a second project?

A more likely scenario is that he DID like your work, used it, and just didn't want to pay you. Then he came back to you for more free work. Don't let clients take advantage of you like this.

I think you've misread Christine. It's alright everyone I'll Just speak to him, this isn't a serious problem I just wanted out without having to worry about a bad review. I'll discuss with him regarding his project, thanks 🙂
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths