🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » End contract with non active clients
Page options
angelinalinac
Community Member

End contract with non active clients

Hello Upwork community,

I have 3 or 4 done projects that need to end contract in order to not get them listed on my Profile as active ones!

I messaged the clients but they seem not to be on Upwork for more than 6 months!
What do I do? How can I end those contracts?

Also, because of that, my current clients ask me how can I handle their job with this much work.

Please help?
8 REPLIES 8
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hello Angelina, If the contract is active on Upwork, you can always close the contract by yourself; by going to the contract room then press the "3 dots" then press "end the contract".

Your current clients might not be aware that the number of active contracts doesn't necessarily mean that you are really actively working on them. You can simply clarify this point for them if you want to keep the other contracts open. 
I believe that it would be sufficient for the client when the freelancer confirms that he/she is able to handle the job, regardless of how many contracts are active.

I hope this helps, wish you the best of luck!

Youssef

Hello commmunity. I'm a freelancer but there's no 'End Contract' option for me after clicking on the three buttons (...). Kindly help.

Hi James,

I checked one of your active contracts, and I was able to see the option to end a contract. Could you please try again after clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser?

~ Joanne
Upwork
JoanneP

Hi Angelina,

If you prefer to end the contract and the client is unresponsive, you can end the contract yourself by following these steps:

1. Go to My Jobs
  2. Click the contract's title
  3. Select the (...) options menu
  4. Click End contract

You may also read this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I tried that. It did not work. I logged out, cleared cache, logged in. Did not work. I tried a different never-before-used browser. DID NOT WORK. Okay, so now what do I do?

kinector
Community Member

Angelina, you can do this:
- make sure there is no money in the escrow (if there is, hand over everything using the Submit Work button and wait for 14 days)

- give a polite notice that you're closing an inactive contract and at the same time tell you're are happy to work with them under a new contract when needed (this is important to mention in case they actually read your message)

- after a couple of days, close the contract and leave appropriate feedback (where you may or may not reflect your opinion on the lack of communication... Depends on how you do things and the situation you know your client is experiencing)

Case closed.

Most likely you will not get any review so those jobs will appear blank in your work history. It just looks a bit stranger than contracts with good feedback, but there is no actual penalty that you would get.

If you want to beautify your work history, you could phase them out so that you close one inactive contract now, finish an active contract second, close another inactive contract third, and so on so that those jobs with empty feedback don't appear on top of each other (too many blanks in a row).

Go for it, finish it, and move on. Good luck!
d5659dac
Community Member

Yes I am parent 

d5659dac
Community Member

Yes I am parent but my contact number**Edited for community guidelines** i need you contact w please help me with 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths