cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End contract

nordicruler
Tommy H Member Since: Oct 26, 2016
1 of 9

I have several jobs that are already finished but the client leave the contract there without end it. Can i just end that without getting "bad reputation" or something? Or what should i do with them? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

These dormant contracts which are still "open" but are earning you no money are a drag on your Upwork account, they make it appear to potential clients that you are busier than you really are. And they diminish your percentage of active contracts, which DOES decrease your Job Success Score.

You need to have strategies for eliminating and avoiding these, including being sure to ask clients to close contracts when the work is done.

I try to make sure I do at least a little bit of work each week or every few weeks on all my open contracts. That prevents them from being auto-paused by Upwork, and it causes them to be counted as active. That way they get counted as long-term contracts, after I've worked for them for three months, which helps my Job Success Score. And it helps clients to understand that if they have an active contract with me, I'll do work on their behalf, and they'll be billed for it.

I communicate with the clients, sending them messages, and trying to be as clear as I can about this. I tell them they can keep the contract open, and I'll do more work on the project. Or they can close the contract and open a new contract later if they find they need me. I want them to know that they do not need to keep a contract open in order to have access to my services. I emphasize that I'm easy to find here on Upwork and that I would be happy to work for them in the fiture.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

I try to make sure I do at least a little bit of work each week or every few weeks on all my open contracts.

That is fine for ongoing HOURLY contracts where you have been told to continue working on a project and there is genuine work to do on that project.

Tommy said the contracts are "finished!" Tommy does translations. A text to be translated is not something you can reasonably "continue to work on" when it's been translated and submitted.

Logging time on an hourly contract that is finished (for all intents and purposes) and the work done and submitted is a surefire way to get into serious trouble, a dispute at best and potentially a suspension.

Quite apart from that it doesn't apply to Tommy at all as all his open contracts are fixed rate. There is no logging time anyway.

Tommy, inactive contracts CAN start to affect you, but not until at least three months (and there are lots of examples of freelancers with masses of dormant contracts who have a 100% JSS.)

Managing clients and contracts is part of "the job" and getting clients to want to close the contract when the work is done is part of that. An isolated incidence of a contract that ended with no feedback because you closed it yourself and the client never left feedback isn't going to hurt you, but with your JSS already in the "not so great" range you want to avoid anything that could drag it down further.

nordicruler
Tommy H Member Since: Oct 26, 2016
4 of 9

They are fixed price contracts and the client leave without end it, about one month.

All job is done, paid but not ended. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 9

Tommy, your best bet probably is to start out by reaching out to those clients and saying that if they don't have any more work for you, it would be great if they could close the contract, and that you'll be happy to work for them again in future if they wish.

Then, if you still don't get them closed, just start closing 1 every couple of weeks. Don't close them all at once.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Tommy,

As other users already advised and first ask your clients to close the completed contracts. In case a client doesn't respond to your request, close the contract yourself. Only a pattern of contracts without feedback might affect your Job Success Score negatively. Going forward, make sure to communicate with your clients when submitting the final deliverable and ask them to close the contract if they don't have more work for you.

Untitled
shihab0915
Community Guru
Shihab-Ul H Member Since: Aug 20, 2016
7 of 9

I found there is an option to End the Contract. If client did not ended the contract, then sould I do it?

And I want to know the merits & demerits of ending the contract, could you please help?

-Thanks 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Shihab-Ul,

Please check my post immediately above yours and let me know if you have any questions.

Untitled
shihab0915
Community Guru
Shihab-Ul H Member Since: Aug 20, 2016
9 of 9

I have got my answer but this information is really dishearten: "without feedback might affect your Job Success Score negatively"

Thank you so much for your reply.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS