🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ended work relationship because an NDA
Page options
brunoluciano
Community Member

Ended work relationship because an NDA

Hi, after doing several jobs with a client, he asked me to sign an NDA to start a project, but he sent me the empty contract, hoping that I just fill in only my data and sign it (leaving spaces not complete), also asking for photo of my ID to check my adress. When I asked him to send me the file to sign with the fields already completed, he never wanted to do it and ended up treating me as unprofessional and saying that I wasted his time.
I have an open job with this client, already delivered, but I don't want to receive a bad review for not wanting to sign the NDA.
Can you tell me if I acted in a good way? I find it strange to sign a contract that has blank spaces, and that will be filled in without my consent later ...

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Luciano B wrote:

Hi, after doing several jobs with a client, he asked me to sign an NDA to start a project, but he sent me the empty contract, hoping that I just fill in only my data and sign it (leaving spaces not complete), also asking for photo of my ID to check my adress. When I asked him to send me the file to sign with the fields already completed, he never wanted to do it and ended up treating me as unprofessional and saying that I wasted his time.
I have an open job with this client, already delivered, but I don't want to receive a bad review for not wanting to sign the NDA.
Can you tell me if I acted in a good way? I find it strange to sign a contract that has blank spaces, and that will be filled in without my consent later ...

Clearly you were in the right to not sign a blank paper. If the client holds that against you, and it sounds like he does, he is unreasonable, but there's nothing you can do about that. Stay professional at all times. 

Are you ending contracts yourself? Don't, you'll never get feedback that way. 

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Luciano!

Luciano B wrote:

As the Business Owner of your freelance business, you most certainly acted appropriately.

Not only were you professional, but you also protected yourself from giving away your ID and signing a blank document.

Under no circumstances should ever sign any binding contract, agreement, or SOP until all terms are explicitly stated from both parties in writing. 

The cost and effort involved in aquiring quality team members is significant.

A client is shooting himself in the foot if he blindly asks freelancer to do silly things, such as sign an NDA full of blanks.

A wise client would have made sure his ducks are in a row and the NDA is properly prepared, or if he doesn't have the time to do that, he should have pushed back and told legal dept. that this freelancer doesn't need to sign an NDA.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members