🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ending Contract - Nightmare Client
Page options
rockstarz
Community Member

Ending Contract - Nightmare Client

Hello friends, 

I am sure some of you have experienced this situation before, you take on a job, then realize this isn't going to end well, no matter what you do.

I took a job to "recreate" a logo, I have sent multiple versions, including a 100% replica of the original logo, it seems like no matter what I do this isn't going to end well for me.

I have decided to forfeit my time and efforts (and good intentions) and close the contract, the project was a Fixed Price job, the money is in Escrow, I do not want the money, I want nothing to do with this project.

It seems like sometimes people abuse the "power" of a bad review, at least this is the feeling  I get dealing with this specific client.

I am pretty new on UpWork, I truly enjoy it, and my reviews are nothing but 5 stars, I always go above and beyond for the client, that's just my personality, I have completed over 30 fixed rate jobs, dealt with contracts worth thousands of dollars and never really had an issue with a client. 

Is there any penalty (JSS score) for ending a contract even though there is no money transaction?

What is the best way to deal with this?

Thank you very much!

8 REPLIES 8
pudingstudio
Community Member

Avi V wrote:

Hello friends, 

I am sure some of you have experienced this situation before, you take on a job, then realize this isn't going to end well, no matter what you do.

I took a job to "recreate" a logo, I have sent multiple versions, including a 100% replica of the original logo, it seems like no matter what I do this isn't going to end well for me.

I have decided to forfeit my time and efforts (and good intentions) and close the contract, the project was a Fixed Price job, the money is in Escrow, I do not want the money, I want nothing to do with this project.

It seems like sometimes people abuse the "power" of a bad review, at least this is the feeling  I get dealing with this specific client.

I am pretty new on UpWork, I truly enjoy it, and my reviews are nothing but 5 stars, I always go above and beyond for the client, that's just my personality, I have completed over 30 fixed rate jobs, dealt with contracts worth thousands of dollars and never really had an issue with a client. 

Is there any penalty (JSS score) for ending a contract even though there is no money transaction?

What is the best way to deal with this?

Thank you very much!

I'd just end it.
We are not hostages of JSS.

Someone will give you more direct answer (whether it will hurt your JSS).

Logo (re)creation jobs are the worst.

Never saw job post with any adequate budget (it's always $10-50).

Positive that each time one is working on a logo creation, client is asking for bunches and bunches of revisions, without any particular reason.

tlbp
Community Member

Contracts with no money paid significantly harm your JSS. 

mtngigi
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

And working with nightmare clients can significantly harm your sanity. Sometimes you just have to walk away. No matter how this ends, this client will probably ruin his JSS via feedback anyway.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I can clearly see that UpWork favors the client and there's no "right" way to end this on good terms which is a shame.

Sometimes freelancers and clients do not see eye to eye and that's completely ok, however, it seems impossible to meet some clients' vision, they have some unique, extravagant vision in their mind and you as a freelancer have absolutely no chance to get it right.
It is extremely frustrating, especially when you use your skills and try to help the client understand what's better for their brand and they just don't get it.
I guess i'll give it another try and if I hit another rejection I will have no other way but to end the contract and (happily) forfeit the time, money and efforts.

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

He has a JSS of 99% from over 30 jobs. I doubt it will make a profile-destroying difference.

Avi, this was also already answered a couple of months ago when you asked essentially the same thing about another contract.

Avi V wrote:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I can clearly see that UpWork favors the client and there's no "right" way to end this on good terms which is a shame.

Of course you can "end it on good terms" and I don't see what this has to do with "favoring the client?"

How does it "favor the client?" - The client isn't getting their stuff done.

Avi V wrote:

Sometimes freelancers and clients do not see eye to eye and that's completely ok

Of course it is ok. But would you call such a contract an outstanding success? No? There you are.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

"Avi, this was also already answered a couple of months ago when you asked essentially the same thing about another contract."
Me asking the same question twice (or 20 times) is my own decision, trying to figure out the logic behind UpWork's system, whatever seems logical and clear to you, isn't that logical to me.

"Of course you can "end it on good terms" and I don't see what this has to do with "favoring the client?"

How does it "favor the client?" - The client isn't getting their stuff done."

UpWork is favoring the client by penalizing the freelancer for Ending Contract (with or without money transaction), without considering an unrealistic, and unprofessional behavior from the client. 
The client got my talent, time, efforts and sincere attempts to present a great job, the client isn't paying, the client isn't getting their stuff done because of the client, not the freelancer, the client isn't always right.

"Of course, it is ok. But would you call such a contract an outstanding success? No? There you are."
I'd call it - Contract closed, no affect on any of the participating sides.

This is in no way shape or form, an argument, you are obviously entitled to your own opinion, and point of view.

I have moved on. 🙂

I'm sure it's frustrating that you had to end a contract due to a difficult client, but if there were no consequences from a zero payment contract, then loads of incompetent freelancers would repeatedly offer refunds to their clients just to avoid a bad JSS score. Then unsuspecting new clients would hire these freelancers and just repeat the cycle.

Obviously it's not in Upwork's best interests to allow freelancers to just cut and run whenever they're out of their depth - or they just can't be bothered to work on a project for whatever reason - so I can see why there needs to be an impact on JSS. At least this is balanced out by allowing top-rated freelancers to have the "perk" of eliminating the occasional bad outcome. 

Yes, Avi, we often see on this message board that there are problems with client abuse of their ability to get all their money back on low-cost fixed price projects without needing to justify their actions. I rarely agree to fixed price projects, but other regulars here say any client can get all their money back from a freelancer who isn't willing to spend $291 to take them to mediation, which isn't really an economical option for many of the most at-risk freelancers.

That these same abusive clients can then leave negative feedback as well is adding insult to injury.

Except those who are very desperate for work, I expect Upwork will be seeing fewer and fewer freelancers doing low-cost projects on a fixed price basis. There really can't be much left over for them to pay their own bills after paying higher connects fees and being ripped off by unscrupulous clients.

That is no doubt by design. Upwork needs to start reporting earnings to its shareholders and low-budget projects are probably not very profitable for Upwork anyway compared to the projects that will come in under Upwork's new emphasis on marketing to larger clients with bigger budgets.

Good luck.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members