🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ending Contract after Completing the Task
Page options
ontherails
Community Member

Ending Contract after Completing the Task

Hi, I took on a task at the end of last month and successfully delivered it by the deadline. However, I only received a short response from the client and had to wait for the payment for 14 days, until Upwork approved the milestone automatically and paid me the amount in escrow. Now, although the task is completed and the payment is already done 2 days ago, I am still waiting for the client to end the contract. I wonder whether it badly affects my JSS or give a bad impression on the client, if I end the contract myself. And I also wonder what happens if the client remains ignorant and the contract remains open for another couple of weeks. Is there any chance to get Upwork involved and ask them to end the contract? Thank you in advance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ozan:

The important thing is that you were paid.

You COULD end the contract yourself, and would see no negative impact on JSS.

But that increases the chance that you will not receive any feedback from the client.

It has only been two days since you were paid for the work. And only 16 days since you submitted the work. Keep in mind that when you used that official "Submit Work" button, the client WAS sent a notification.

But 16 days isn't every long ago.

If it was me, this is what I would do:

I leave the contract open for now.

I do NOT send any messages to the client.

I wait.

Then the client sends me a message: "Thank you for the work. We are using it now."

I reply: "Thank you for your note. If you do not have any other further tasks, it would be helpful if you would go and close the contract."

The client replies: "Okay, I will do that now."

The client closes the contract, which requires him to leave feedback. The client had a positive experience working with me, and leaves positive feedback.

BUT WHAT IF the client asks for some small favor? What if the client asks:

"This is what we need, but somebody on our team is asking if you could save the file in PDF format as well?"

I tell the client: "I can see how that would be useful. Providing PDF format was not part of the contract, but I will send that to at no extra cost if you will go ahead and close the contract now."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ozan:

The important thing is that you were paid.

You COULD end the contract yourself, and would see no negative impact on JSS.

But that increases the chance that you will not receive any feedback from the client.

It has only been two days since you were paid for the work. And only 16 days since you submitted the work. Keep in mind that when you used that official "Submit Work" button, the client WAS sent a notification.

But 16 days isn't every long ago.

If it was me, this is what I would do:

I leave the contract open for now.

I do NOT send any messages to the client.

I wait.

Then the client sends me a message: "Thank you for the work. We are using it now."

I reply: "Thank you for your note. If you do not have any other further tasks, it would be helpful if you would go and close the contract."

The client replies: "Okay, I will do that now."

The client closes the contract, which requires him to leave feedback. The client had a positive experience working with me, and leaves positive feedback.

BUT WHAT IF the client asks for some small favor? What if the client asks:

"This is what we need, but somebody on our team is asking if you could save the file in PDF format as well?"

I tell the client: "I can see how that would be useful. Providing PDF format was not part of the contract, but I will send that to at no extra cost if you will go ahead and close the contract now."

Thank you so much for this very enlightening explanation. I will follow
your advice. Kind regards.
robin_hyman
Community Member

Leave the contract open for a few months and then revisit.  I cannot see your profile.  If you don't have a ton of open contracts, no need to worry about negative effects to your JSS.  No need to get Upwork involved.  

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ozan, 

I would also just like to share this help article that explains in detail what situations will have an effect on your Job Success Score. It's a good reference if, and when you decide whether to close contracts, or keep them open. I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Ozan U wrote:

I wonder whether it badly affects my JSS or give a bad impression on the client, if I end the contract myself.

No, it does not.

Ozan U wrote:

. And I also wonder what happens if the client remains ignorant and the contract remains open for another couple of weeks.

Absolutely nothing happens.

Ozan U wrote:

Is there any chance to get Upwork involved and ask them to end the contract?

No. Managing your business is your job, not Upwork's.

There is no need to do anything at all at this stage. If the client is still absent after another month, feel free to send one last brief message to the client, then close the contract yourself.

Thank you for your helpful explanations. I will leave it as it is.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths