Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending Contract and bad private feedback by mistake

Highlighted
Community Leader
Iman K Member Since: Jan 30, 2017
1 of 15

Hi Upwork Gurus,

I have a new client from Switzerland, and he is new to Upwork. He ended a contract to start a new one with more feasible deadlines, as the project will start later than expected. He wrote to me that he hastily ended the contract and mistakenly provided for me a weak bad private feedback, as he thought he has to rate the service of Upwork itself and not my service.  He realized his mistake and asked me how to change this error. As I am doing my best to take him by the hand and guiding him through the process. He seems too busy to figure out things by himself. Moreover, I always go this extra mile for my clients to bring the project to its best completion.

So here my two questions: 

1. Can a client change his private feedback and how?

2. What would have happened if he would have left the old contract as it is with wrong deadlines, would this fact, that we have different deadlines hurt my JSS. I always endeavor to deliver by the deadline and even before, but here he did write deadlines before contacting his client, that will provide material much later. 

Wish you all the best

Iman

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
2 of 15

Hi Iman,

Unfortunately only public feedback can be changed if you authorize the client to change their feedback, and private feedback once given on a contract cannot be changed at all.

Deadlines on a contract serve as a guideline but have no negative impact if the deadline is missed, what is important is being on the same page with the client about any production timelines or deadlines.

~Nina
Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 15
Thank you Nina for your swift reply. I have given full refund of escrow, as he started a new contract. So I believe because I have given full refund, this contract will not have any impact on my JSS in this case?

I wish you a wonderful evening,

Iman
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 15

@Iman K wrote:
 I believe because I have given full refund, this contract will not have any impact on my JSS in this case?

Yes it will. A contract that ends without payment will not show on the public profile, but the private feedback fully affects the JSS, and when there was nothing paid it affects it more strongly.

You will likely see a significant drop in your JSS.

It is very hard to imagine how the client thought he was leaving feedback for Upwork rather than you when it is very clearly stated what it is and what it is for.

There was no need to start a new contract at all, as the deadline is purely between client and freelancer and means absolutely nothing as long as client and freelancer are on the same page. The stated deadline is completely meaningless.

Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 15
Hi Petra, he is from Switzerland and fully busy, so he didn't realize his mistake until too late. What can the client do in this case? To make the least damage for me, as actually I did help this client a lot to understand the mechanisms of Upwork.

He closed the contract and opened a new one instead. Should he reopen the old one? I think he thought that the new dealines were not inserted, that is why he opened a new contract.

Please advise what to do now to minimize damage for my profile, thanks.

Iman
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 15

@Iman K wrote:
Hi Petra, he is from Switzerland and fully busy, so he didn't realize his mistake until too late.
Please advise what to do now to minimize damage for my profile, thanks.

Nothing you can do now. Too late. It also doesn't matter whether he is from Switzerland. People from Switzerland are no more busy than those across the Swiss borders Smiley Wink

If you are top rated and have not used your perk in the last 10 jobs and 3 months, you can wait until the next update, see what happens, and use your perk to remove the impact of the contract.

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 15
Hi Petra,

Thank you Petra, you advise to wait and see my next rating. I didn't use my perk until now. But what if I loose my top- rated status alltogether, I will not be able to use my perk in this case?

All the best,

Iman
Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
8 of 15

@Iman K wrote:

Thank you Petra, you advise to wait and see my next rating. I didn't use my perk until now. But what if I loose my top- rated status alltogether, I will not be able to use my perk in this case?

If you lose Top Rated you still have the perk available for 14 days.

So please wait and see what happens Smiley Happy

How did the conversation even get to the private feedback that was left?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 15

Thank you, Petra, for your valuable advice. Yes, I will wait.  

The client was confused and overwhelmed from the beginning with the Upwork platform. He asked me many times for guidance instead of approaching the Upwork team. Yesterday, he suddenly panicked and closed the contract, because his client changed the deadlines and the scope of the project. So in the course of quickly closing a contract and opening a new one, he made this error and communicated this to me, to see if he can correct it afterward.

All the best,

Iman

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
10 of 15

There are two parts/pages when providing private feedback. On first page, client is asked to rate the freelancer and the questions are very clear. After that's submitted, the client is redirected to the next page where they can (optionally) review Upwork.

Maybe that's where the client left poor feedback - fingers crossed!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS