🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Ending a fixed-price contract by freelanc...
Page options
amidevk
Community Member

Ending a fixed-price contract by freelancer

Hi There,

I am considering ending a long-running fixed-priced contract with a client that has not been fruitful for either of us due to mismanagement, change of scope, COVID-19 situation etc, among many other reasons. The contract got suspended after 3 months and the client re-instated it and extended the timeframe by a week so that I could get into it. However, I've politely requested the client if I could quit since I don't feel motivated to carry on with the task and it will be good if he can hire somebody else so that it will give his job a fresh start rather than myself hanging onto it. I haven't yet delivered on the milestones or I haven't got paid. The money in escrow remains intact. I am happy to release the escrow money by ending the contract as well. But the problem is its been several days but the client has not replied yet. I know he has read the message. Now I am considering ending the contract by myself but I am worried whether he'll be able to post a negative public review so that it would affect my ability to find new work. I know its gonna affect my JSS anyway but I am willing to accept it as long as the client is not able to post a bad review publically. Can anybody please clarify the situation I could get into by doing this? Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Amila,
If you never got a single penny from the client, and you refund all the amount he deposited in Escrow, then don't worry. In that case, while you are closing the contract, whatever review the client gives to you, will remain private.  It will not be shown to your public profile.
And one more thing, please mention the reasons clearly why you are closing this contract.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Sagar

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Amila,
If you never got a single penny from the client, and you refund all the amount he deposited in Escrow, then don't worry. In that case, while you are closing the contract, whatever review the client gives to you, will remain private.  It will not be shown to your public profile.
And one more thing, please mention the reasons clearly why you are closing this contract.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Sagar

Sagar S wrote:

He can't leave pubic feedback for the client either when nothing was ever paid.

amidevk
Community Member

Thanks Petra

Thanks Sagar. Really appreciate the feedback.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths