🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ending a non-responsive contract VS keeping i...
Page options
pratik2997
Community Member

Ending a non-responsive contract VS keeping it running

Hi,

I have two clients I worked with who became unresponsive after I completed the task. I asked them to end the contract and leave a review right away, but they didn't respond and still haven't responded. One of them has already passed the 30 days limit for leaving reviews. But, here is the issue:

I'm relatively new to Upwork, so I don't want my client history to have a job with no review or feedback, especially not the most recent one. So, I've decided not to end the contract and keep it running. Are there any issues with doing this?

I want to know all the drawbacks if any, that this approach has as opposed to ending the contract.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kkears
Community Member

Hey Pratik - End the contracts since this increases the # of completed jobs on your profile which will help you as a new freelancer on Upwork. Don't worry about the blank feedback; we all have clients who don't leave feedback... AND I see you have a few completed jobs with great feedback already! 

Just simply message the client and let them know you'll close the contract on this project and to reach out to you if they have future needs. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kkears
Community Member

Hey Pratik - End the contracts since this increases the # of completed jobs on your profile which will help you as a new freelancer on Upwork. Don't worry about the blank feedback; we all have clients who don't leave feedback... AND I see you have a few completed jobs with great feedback already! 

Just simply message the client and let them know you'll close the contract on this project and to reach out to you if they have future needs. 

Thanks for that. I didn't know that amount of completed jobs mattered. I thought that having a good review was much more important.

spectralua
Community Member

No problem with that. Previously, an unclosed contract has an impact on JSS, now it doesn't.

colettelewis
Community Member

There aren't any drawbacks to keeping a contract open provided you've been paid. You can close them at any time.  I've got a few that have been open for quite a while, because occasionally some of them come back with more work, but I never pester them if they don't.  

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

End and close the contract.  There is no reason to maintain an open liability.  Sure, it may not hurt your score, but what are you going to do when the client initiates a chargeback 8 months after the job was finished?

Close them and free yourself from needless risk.

I don't think contract status is known by the bank or included in their decision on allowing a chargeback or not. They have their own set of rules and the fact that it's "their money" (not the client's) that makes it "easier" for them  to "proceed" with a chargeback.

Does it really affect my JSS?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members