🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ending an Inactive Contract
Page options
f20c5fb5
Community Member

Ending an Inactive Contract

Hello All 🙂
just new to upwork and wanted to ask, I had worked for a client and had 2 milestone assigned, I managed to do both and payment was released by the client. He added a bonus too but, the thing is he did not end the Contract and didn't review or rate. Its been almost 15 days and it is still in my pending jobs on my profile. Should I end the contract? will it affect my completion rate or profile if I end it myself? Should I wait?! or what is the best way to end it?
any help will be appreciated 🙂
Thanks 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Give him four weeks to respond to the messages you have already sent. If he still doesn't respond within four weeks of your last message, close the contract yourself.

Remember he can still leave feedback for some time (14 days, if I remember correctly) after you've closed the contract. He can't see your feedback for him until either a) he leaves feedback for you or, b) 14 days after you have closed the contract,

If you close the contract yourself, I recommend you also send him a short message on the project board at the same time, thanking him for his business, telling him you enjoyed working with him and would welcome the chance to work for him again. Whether or not you enjoyed working with him and would like to work with him again doesn't really matter. It just makes it more likely he'll leave positive feedback for you, if he leaves any feedback at all.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
roberty1y
Community Member

It won't affect your ratings either way, whatever you do. The best thing is to politely ask the client to close the contract. That way, he will have to give you feedback. 

Thanks Robert for the help 🙂 but, have asked him several times for the last 2 weeks but it isn't like he is active and not responding but, actually whenever I see him he is inactive and offline and i'm almost like 16 hours available on upwork 😅

Give him four weeks to respond to the messages you have already sent. If he still doesn't respond within four weeks of your last message, close the contract yourself.

Remember he can still leave feedback for some time (14 days, if I remember correctly) after you've closed the contract. He can't see your feedback for him until either a) he leaves feedback for you or, b) 14 days after you have closed the contract,

If you close the contract yourself, I recommend you also send him a short message on the project board at the same time, thanking him for his business, telling him you enjoyed working with him and would welcome the chance to work for him again. Whether or not you enjoyed working with him and would like to work with him again doesn't really matter. It just makes it more likely he'll leave positive feedback for you, if he leaves any feedback at all.

Thanks for your thorough help 🙂

Never ask several times. You will just annoy the client, and then when they are prompted to leave you feedback while closing the contract, it may be negative. Ask once and then if the client doesn't close it either leave it open or close it yourself. 

Thank you very much, will keep that in mind too 🙂

Hello Tiffany . In the event that I end the contract myself. Is my profile affected? I know my client doesn't know how to end the contract. 
I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide 

virtualbrix
Community Member

I agree with Will, Just give it some time but eventually, close it out.

Yeah will wait for a week then 🙂
Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members